My Wife Turned Of The Sockets Last Night

I woke up this morning to find my crystal clear tank completely cloudy and full of bits of crud floating about. I did a 70% water change straight away this morning and removed most all the debris.

However the tank is still quite cloudy. Should I do another 70% water change or just leave it a while to settle? I have decided not to feed the fish today as well just in case.

Edited by stalepriest

Yes I'd do another water change if the filter is running again and the water is still cloudy. Do you have a test kit to see if the water parameters are off?

I only have test strips, need to wait to get paid to get a proper kit.

Glad to hear that!

You going for a drop kit? I've only used drop kits and I guess from your response, strips aint all that good?

Just what folks here have said, they don't give an accurate enough reading just a rough idea.

Cloudy or bits floating about?

Check your ph if you can. Does it have a funny smell? Dropping ph has a wierd "once you have smelled it" smell to it.

Remind me, how long has this tank been running?

BTW I love the divorcelaw link!

Well it's clouded over again over the cause of the day. Not sure whats going on here. 2 70% water changes today, the only thing I have added to the tank is Tetra aqua easy balance could that be clouding the water?

Cloudy water is a new tank syndrome...I am guessing your cycle has crashed...the bbs might be dead...it will take sometime to get back to normal...keep doing a 50-70% water change everyday...that will keep the ammonia/nitrites low...and will help give a chance to the bbs to build up again...and repopulate...cud take a couple of weeks...you could really use the drop tests to keep a watch on the parameters...dont worry it will get better...the cycle is trying to resume.. :)

The tank has been running close to 4 weeks now, the last 3-4 days the water had cleared right up, it was crystal clear. Then today this happens. I know I only have the strips but the readings as of right now are,

GH 120-180

KH 80-120

Ph 6-6.5

Nitrates and Nitrites are both reading the lowest colour on the chart which is 0, this has been the same since I started the tank up.

I am of to buy a new filter tomorrow as well, the one I have is way to big, it makes quite allot of noise and the water flow from the output often sends my fish flying across the tank.

Cloudy and bits of crud floating around could simply be the poo that your aquatic poo generators made while the filter wasn't running.

It would only take an hour or so (or even less time) for that to happen in my tank. That's why the 10X GPH turnover for filters is needed in a goldie tank.

water change = good

filter running again = good

water parameter tests = good

You've probably got everything under control. Just keep an eye on the parameters.

:)

I am of to buy a new filter tomorrow as well, the one I have is way to big, it makes quite allot of noise and the water flow from the output often sends my fish flying across the tank.

Hmmm... noise and fish flying across the tank. Sounds right to me. :)

How big is your tank? How many goldies? What filter do you have now?

The tank has been running close to 4 weeks now, the last 3-4 days the water had cleared right up, it was crystal clear. Then today this happens.

4 weeks..I think the cycle was not completely done...and even a newly established cycle is fragile...so yeah I think your cycle has really gone for a toss with this mishap..

I know I only have the strips but the readings as of right now are,

GH 120-180

KH 80-120

Ph 6-6.5

Nitrates and Nitrites are both reading the lowest colour on the chart which is 0, this has been the same since I started the tank up.

I do not see readings for ammonia...Also I think the readings won't be precise becos of the strip tests...and pH of 6-6.5 is low...I would suggest get drop tests for ammonia, nitrites and pH for now...work on the pH..you need to have a pH of at least 7.4...and like Daniel says..keep a close eye on the parameters...keep testing water every 12 hrs...The water will settle in sometime..do water changes as per the readings...

Also, Beancurdturtle has asked some good questions...please let us know some more details about your tank and filter specifications.. :)

Cloudy and bits of crud floating around could simply be the poo that your aquatic poo generators made while the filter wasn't running.

It would only take an hour or so (or even less time) for that to happen in my tank. That's why the 10X GPH turnover for filters is needed in a goldie tank.

water change = good

You've probably got everything under control. Just keep an eye on the parameters.

My Tank is 20g, I have two small fish, an Oranda and a Shubunkin. The Shubunkin is heading for a pond in February. My Filter is a Hagen Elite Stingray 15, I am not very happy with it to be honest.

How can I modify the Ph level? I asume my Amonia is ok for today as I have done 2x70% water changes today.

Ph can be slowly increased by adding baking soda. But I would definatley wait on the test kits, you don't want it to get too high.

What are your strips registering out of the tap? Is the ph holding in the tank?

If it is not holding you will need to get crushed coral to hold the ph. Ph dropping to quickly can burn the fish. Just keep an eye on it for now.

As for the ammonia...I know who wants to test it again when you have been lugging water all day! It should be fine by doing the 2 70% each day...but to be safest at least test it once a day! :goodjob with the water changes!

I am sure Daniel will be back to help you with the filter!

Ph can be slowly increased by adding baking soda. But I would definatley wait on the test kits, you don't want it to get too high.

What are your strips registering out of the tap? Is the ph holding in the tank?

If it is not holding you will need to get crushed coral to hold the ph. Ph dropping to quickly can burn the fish. Just keep an eye on it for now.

As for the ammonia...I know who wants to test it again when you have been lugging water all day! It should be fine by doing the 2 70% each day...but to be safest at least test it once a day! :goodjob with the water changes!

I am sure Daniel will be back to help you with the filter!

My Tank is 20g, I have two small fish, an Oranda and a Shubunkin. The Shubunkin is heading for a pond in February. My Filter is a Hagen Elite Stingray 15, I am not very happy with it to be honest.

How can I modify the Ph level? I asume my Amonia is ok for today as I have done 2x70% water changes today.

The Zeolite used in your filter may contribute to your Ph issue. I'll let someone with better knowledge of zeolite answer to that possibility. So let's turn to the filter... :)

Oh! :unsure:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that filter is completely unsuited for a 20 US gallon goldfish tank. :(

First, it has a rating of 70 gallons per hour. You need a minimum of 10 times turnover in an hour, so you need at least 200 GPH.

Second, it uses a combination of sponge plus a zeolite/carbon cartridge for filtration. That means it's just mechanical and chemical filtration. The most important and effective type of filtration for a goldfish tank (meaning high waste fish) is biological filtration. Zeolite basically scavenges free ammonia from the water, so while it's viable, there is no ammonia available for nitrifying bacteria to start a cycle. Unfortunately there is no biological media in your filter, so a cycle would be unlikely to be established anyway.

The short story here is that you don't really need chemical (carbon, zeolite, etc.) filtration for goldfish tanks except in special situations. Like using carbon when you want to remove trace medication from the water. What you basically want is mechanical pre-filtration and biological media.

A good choice for you would be something like a Hagen AquaClear 50 Power Filter. It's a Hang on Back filter rated at 200 GPH. Don't use the carbon, so take out the Chemical-Activated Carbon Filter Insert and save it for later in case you need it. Buy an extra BioMax Filter Insert - enough to take the space the carbon used. Or some people just replace the BioMax with something like Bio-Balls. Set the filter up , and read at least the first link below.

Here's a couple links to get educated:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Filtration.html

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsand...ogicalfiltr.htm

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/beginner.../l/aa110998.htm

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filtration/l/aa071603.htm

Now others may recommend other brands, or other types - like a canister filter - and they are likely not wrong. I'm just giving you a good basic minimum setup for your circumstances.

Best of luck to you.

water change = good

In regards to the Hagen Elite Stingray 15, I have that filter and I ruddy hate it! It was so noisey but surprisingly powerful. From what you'll read around here, you need 10x filteration per hour. If your tank is 20 gallons, you need to be filtering 200 gallons per hour. That stringray does 300 litres which is around 60-70 gallons. GF are pretty messy fish and with the waterchange disturbing gravel/sand etc, perhaps more filteration will help the tank clear?

I'd recommend looking at fluval filters, they are so good and you can buy the carbon inserts for removing chems from the water, you can also add in between the filters pads another filter pads that clears up the water in what seems like minutes. I usually add it after a waterchange/cleaning of the tank.

---Beaten to the scolding of 10x filteration by 3 minutes, typical!

Edited by fortunefaded

water change = good

In regards to the Hagen Elite Stingray 15, I have that filter and I ruddy hate it! It was so noisey but surprisingly powerful. From what you'll read around here, you need 10x filteration per hour. If your tank is 20 gallons, you need to be filtering 200 gallons per hour. That stringray does 300 litres which is around 60-70 gallons. GF are pretty messy fish and with the waterchange disturbing gravel/sand etc, perhaps more filteration will help the tank clear?

I'd recommend looking at fluval filters, they are so good and you can buy the carbon inserts for removing chems from the water, you can also add in between the filters pads another filter pads that clears up the water in what seems like minutes. I usually add it after a waterchange/cleaning of the tank.

---Beaten to the scolding of 10x filteration by 3 minutes, typical!

My local Jollys pet supply super store stocks Fluval, I was looking at the 2 or 3 for my tank.

Thanks a ton for all the advice folks, this has been and still is a great learning experience.

So tomorrow if I buy these I will be sorted? I have a bit of Xmas cash so I'll be using that.

This Filter

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?...amp;ProdId=1503

Is this the bio stuff I need to add to it?

http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/fluval-bio...ngs-p-2276.html

Very well explained by Daniel...good posting.. :)

The filtration on the filter you have posted is 700 litres/hour...which is roughly 185gallons/hour....You need a minimum of 200gallons/hour...so I think you might want to consider a bigger filter than that...extra filtration is always helpful...besides a filter when filled with media will definitely process at a speed lower than the one printed...so you could consider getting a filter of minimum 250gallon/hour...

And the Fluval Biomax rings..is good for media...that is a good choice.. :)