How Many Shrimp?

fishlord1

I have a ten gallon tank that isn't in use. I love shrimp, but, seeing as the new tank that I am planning to get will be chuck full of loaches, which will maim any invert that they can find, I can't put them in that tank. So how many shrimp would go in a ten gallon tank? Thanks!

The smaller fish like ghost shrimp and cherry can have a colony of around 200 or so in a 10 gallon tank. I have heard of people having as many as 300 with no problems.

However the ghost shrimp in LFS are not really for keeping they are hard to keep alive long enough to produce. Mostly cause they are a "food" for other fish and they don't expect them to live long.

I have not had much luck with my cherry shrimp. Last time I looked I only had like 5 left. They are very picky about their water.

300?!....one word....DANG! I thought it would be more like fish, with like....5 or something, lol. Oh well, I was only off by about 295. Wow. The water quality should be pretty good by the time I get them, which will be quite a while from now due to the fact that I will be using that tank as a quarentine tank until I have all the fish I want in the tank that I'm getting. But it will be cycled for sure. How about it there is, say, five guppies in the tank with them? And can all of the mentioned species be put together?

The people that have 200 - 300 shrimp in their 10 gallon tank start off with 10 to 12 shrimp and watch them have babies. Nearly all fish (including guppies) like to eat shrimp so it is best to have a shrimp only tank.

Ghost shrimp aren't as easy to breed as cherry shrimp and crystal red shrimp because ghost shrimp produces free floating larvae that need to be fed micro-food items before they assume adult form.

Cherry and ghost shrimp can be kept together. Crystal red have different water requirements and are much more sensative to water conditions.