Sign in to follow this  
seheap

Reabsorbing Eggs

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but here we go.

What exactly does reabsorbed-eggs-poop look like? I know people describe it as "zig-zagged" but does anyone have a picture?

Phoenix has a bit of poo floating around in her tank that is kinda curly and kinda zig-zag-y. I'm not quite sure if this is a bad sign or a sign of reabsorbed eggs. I don't think she is old enough to be sexually mature, but you never know.

You can't tell too well from this photo but it is like tightly wound spirals.

hpim0574.jpg

Its a bit harder to tell by he pooh alone - have there been other changes in the fish's behavior as well? There is usually a whole "big picture" of how absorbed eggs can be diagnosed.

I usually was able to tell by the way the fish acted - my problem females were mostly heavier in movement, looked more swollen on one side of the belly than the other. How I can usually tell is when they generally lose some of their energy - energy that is used to absorb those eggs. The more eggs there are, the less energy will be left for the fish. I can especially remember one particular female which was literally not getting her butt off of the tank floor anymore, not for anything, not even food. It took almost 3 months, and I had given up on her ever moving much again. Rows of meds were given with no success. Then one morning, she just got up, ate and swam like she never acted up. It always reminds me of Chronic Fatique syndrome, where almost everything in your life is just too much, and you can't muster the energy for much at all.

As to thinking that your fish might not be old enough - well, let me tell you that the size of the fish isn't neccessarily a dead giveaway. I have had quite a few fish who seemed like babies from their looks and size, and I turned around and they decided to chase some girls - successfully. :D

See this is what is happening with my new blue ranchu, but based on the most recent poo pics Trinket says it does not look like egg poo... BUT all the signs are there. She is laying on one side, not moving. (except occaisionally for food)... the other day the poo looked more zig zaggy, but it really didn't look that way in the pics I got of it... I too am curious to see a really good pic of egg poo!! LOL (Wow, what a goal in life!!! lol)Andrea can you give me a good explanation of what exactly is happening during the whole egg/ egg reabsorbtion process? It confuses me still!

Sue, instead of the eggs being released, they slowly break apart in the fish's body, and the body re-absorbs them. It is like digestion - and what I don't like about this is that it can cause bad bacterial infections. After all, there is something falling apart inside a body, and since it is so hidden, we can't often see the first signs of bacterial problems. If something goes wrong, it is often hard to treat.

It takes so long because of the sheer number of eggs involved, and because the biological breakdown is a slow process.

I personally take a good egg release over absorbtion any day - it is a lot less stressful on the fish.

Thanks luv!!!! : )

Is there any particular thing that causes reabsorbtion as opposed to just laying the eggs? Or is it just one of those things?

When you imagine how many of those tiny eggs - sticky little things - are compacted into a goldfish's body, you can imagine that not all the eggs find their way out. Maybe the exit or the way to there is too small, and the eggs are partially or completely blocked off when trying to drop. Lets just say that absorbed eggs are more commonly seen in fat and round fish, not all that often in slender comets or shubunkin. Their body shape is just better to work with in that regard.

And yes, sometimes its just one of those things. Female too small to handle all the eggs, too many eggs all at once, not enough male stimulation - sometimes you just don't know. :)

Hmm, ok. It sounds like Phoenix did absorb the eggs. I have a feeling she is stunted from poor FishDumb conditions. She was really chubby (more on one side than the other) and then she wasn't. :unsure: Could the stunting cause absorption of the eggs? Also, Dragon was on hiatus in Steve's tank so she didn't have "male stimulation" (heehee, that just sounds so silly!).

Well, I guess I will work with the theory that she is able to at least make eggs, laying them is a different matter.

What are some of the things one could do to help the female release the eggs?