Got Two New Rubber Lip Plecos

I just got two baby rubber nose plecos. The algae was starting to take over my tank since my common pleco died. I had him for 3 1/2 years and he died of bloat. I read that they need drift wood to aid in their digestion. The only problem is that I have also read that putting driftwood in my goldfish tank will cause PH problems. How do I accommodate my plecos and goldfish?

Putting driftwood in your tank will cause your pH to go down. However, you can combat this by putting some loose coral pieces in your tank, or putting a little bag of crushed coral in your filter. That should help level it out a bit. You could also get buffers to add to the tank, but I've always preferred the crushed coral route, since it's less trouble. You can just stick in in there and forget about it, it lasts forever, and on the plus side it's more places that good bacteria can grow!

Hmm...I'm not too sure. I work in a general pet store, and we don't carry crushed coral. I got my stuff from a fish-only store. A place that sells saltwater fish ought to have some on hand. It's usually super cheap too!! It's best to call around a couple places first and see if they have it. A fish specialty shop is your best bet!