Sign in to follow this  
Guest jake n bake

New Oscars Awesome!

Guest jake n bake

Hey guyz, got 2 new oscars in a 55g may upload pics but not sure. I love them, so beautiful only bad thing their aggresive. My favorite pet store told me i should feed them live goldfish, then i researched and they said that its not healthy and too much fat. So, since their carnivores i feed them shrimp pellets and bloodworms. Good idea????

YAY OSCARS! I love them so. I demand pics!!!

Good news: live goldfish are not a good idea for a staple food. Oscars are carnivores and do enjoy chasing down little morsels, but goldfish need not be fed every day. even once a month is fine. They also like snails. Shrimp pellets and bloodworms are great, brine shrimp too!

Bad news: 55 gallons for two oscars will only be big enough for a little while! 55g is the minimum tank size for one oscar, and even that is pushing it. Your new babies will need a bigger home soon! Oscars are also incredibly messy, and need supa-filtration....kinda like a goldy!! Hope you've got a good filter or three on that tank!

Pics pics pics!! Are they tigers, reds or albinos??

I used to have two large oscars in my 55 gallon aquaruim. The water got dirty fast and it was hard to keep clean.

I tried feeding my oscars live goldfish a few times. They chase them and have a hard time catching them. It's a mess. So I quit feeding live fish and starting feeding them pellets. Plus anytime you feed live fish you risk introducing diseases into your tank. Feeder goldfish are often sick. If you want to give them a nice meaty snack feed them Red worms or night crawlers.

55 will be big enough for a while like I dunno a week. Dude 90 gallon is pretty much min most people will say for one Oscar. So go out and get a 120 gallon now so they are happy unhappy Oscars get HIH real easy cause they are messy fish. Also feed them live but not Goldfish cause feeder goldfish have too much disease get them some danios or rosys that will do better. These guys are puppy fish so they are a blast to have but only if you take care of them. Please post pics I love oscars but please please please do not torture these little guys get them a much bigger home or surrender them back to the store to sell to someone who can provide a good home. They eat everything and anything. PM me I have a real good site for you to learn a ton about Oscars.

I think he's got a little more than a week ;) But yea, hopefully you'll be able to upgrade before to long. It'll be hard to maintain good water quality with that small a tank, and as you've noticed they're agressive, and they'll chase each other into decor, filter tubes, the lid, and the sides of the tank if they don't have enough room. I've heard of oscars cracking the glass in tanks that are to small. Good luck with your new fish though, oscars are great pets. Pics???

And you're definitely doing the right thing not feeding them goldfish, especially as a member of this board... :) Its just not true that they need live goldfish to eat, they'll be just as happy with what you're giving them. They do need protein (though I've heard of vegetarian ones too) but there are a ton of better sources of protein than feeder goldfish.

Ok I hate to be the hippy here but I will. Get those fish into a new tank. NOW! 55 ok grow out for one Oscar not 2. They eat anything except nails and screws and broken glass which they will eat but is not recommended diet. Go do some research and maybe do some research before you buy fish you'll be sorry you bought the most amazing fish in the world if you don't fix this mistake ASAP

Guest jake n bake

ya i know im getting s 120 gallon for christmas because my mom said that she had a 200 gallon with 3 tiger oscars and a pleco and my dad mostly cleaned it and feed them and he said it was a pain in the neck. So i got a extra filter, i got a aqua clear 50 and a whisper ex50 thats good i would say. Quite expesicve. Ill get the 12o gallons put the old filters in the 120 sell the 55 gallons with sand plants for about 250. BTW got 1 tiger and 1 red. One of them jumped when i fed them and hit like my arm and back into the water, i was so scared!11

As it's been pointed out, 55 gallons is too small for 2 oscars, but don't feel badly about it!!! Also, don't feed them danios or rosys either. Any live fish you feed have the potential to carry parasites that you don't want to introduce to your new fish. Oscars are meat eaters by nature, BUT necropsies on oscars taken from the wild have shown that their stomach contents are mostly of insects, not other fish. A good staple food is Hikari Cichlid Gold (it's on the pricey side, but tis very good), and then you can feed them nightcrawlers, crickets, miscellaneous bugs, bloodworms, a BIT of krill (try to get the low salt stuff) and my boy will even eat algae wafers once in a blue moon. The most important thing is to feed a highly nutritious staple food, and then give them a variety of other stuff to supplement. Congrats on the new oscars, you will really, really enjoy their personalities... they're a highly intelligent, often hysterical fish!!!

If you want to feed live food, breed your own guppies or bait fish. They are more nutritious and if you take care of them yourself you know you won't be putting disease in the water when you feed.

I love Oscars!!!!!!...they are like puppies!!..BAD puppies :rofl

:rofl

I have no experience with them, but I can see how this would be true. An lfs near me has a HUGE one in a pond and he's such a grump, you can just tell he's waiting for someone to stick a finger in there.

Mine's a total grump too and he has sooo much attitude. His favorite "toy" is a terra cotta pot that he grabs by the rim and drags around his tank. He also likes to "redecorate" from time to time and I'll come in his room and he has moved all of his plastic plants and river rocks to the very front of his tank and he proudly wags his bottom as if to say "Look at what I DID!!".