Sign in to follow this  
Erika

Hey Koko's, I Need Your Brains!

Hey ladies and gents, it's me! I know I'm not around much anymore; school and family life, ya know? Anyway, I've noticed that my fish have been acting very solemn for the last month or so, and I initially figured it was the changing weather since it is now winter here and the temps have been in the 20's and 30's. I winterized the pond about a month ago and put in my usual sinking de-icer. I was checking on the critters today, and I noticed that one of the fish (offspring from last spring's breeding extravaganza) was "dusty" looking. I gently netted her out and saw what I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing.... ICK. This is the first time my pond has had an outbreak of it, and I'm freaking out!!

My problem is, the pond is right around 40 degrees F now that it's winter, and I don't know how to treat at such a temp. Salt? I'm also stumped because the water temperature outside should be cold enough that the ick's lifecycle is severely hampered, right?

If anyone has any ideas, please.........

Oh yeah, it's a 300 gallon pond, no newbies added since the summer, it's been established for approx. 3 years, it has some crazy pond filter with a UV clarifier ( don't remember the brand name), fish haven't been eating for about 3 weeks.

Most people I talk to go with salt and water temp raises but I don't think you'll be able to get it warm enough from so cold a temp. I'd say (eww I don't like saying this) go get an ick treatment. They are cheap and easy to find and most say fish safe. Still hate chemicals but aquarium salt alone won't fix it from what I understand. Sorry to hear about fish good luck,

Okay, here's what I'm doing......

I frantically called a friend who I knew had an empty 55 gallon tank in her basement. Luckily, she still had it. I got that home, set it up and transferred my big oscar (Groucho!) into it. He's about a foot long now, and soaked our walls all the way up to our 9 foot ceilings!!! Now that he's settled, I emptied his previous home, a 75 gallon, cleaned it out, and filled it back up. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to SLOWLY bring the fish in from outside and acclimate them to room temperature and put them in the empty tank. Once they're settled, I'll get the heater in that tank on to bring it up to 80 degrees. Then I'll start adding salt. I know that this is drastic, and will probably stress my ick ridden fish to the gills, but I really don't have any other options. Hopefully they pull thru. Some of these fish have been with me before I joined Koko's... Wish me luck everyone!!

Oh, and once the pond is "fish-less", what should I do to treat it?? There will still be a couple of frogs in there. :unsure:

Hi Erika. You can still treat ich in winter with salt its just going to take that much longer :( If you use ich meds you are going to lose your bbs and its really expensive doing the whole pond. Pickling salt is cheapest and will work. I've heard pond owners do a spring salting to 0.3% yearly to keep parasites at bay -its something you can do that shouldn't damage the cycle. I don't think there are many other options. It may take as long as a month at 0.3%.

oops double post..

Hey Trinket, you and I posted at the same time! I figured that salt would eventually work in the pond at that cold of a temp, but a month??!! I don't know that the frogs would have held out, poor things. Hopefully my plan works out... I'll be up to my elbows in water changes for awhile though. Thank god for Pythons!

The foot long oscar what is the plan when he gets sick cause that 55 is way too small?? Just wondering?

Thanks Toadie, but he is extremely well cared for. This is a temporary set up. I bought him a couple years ago at 8 inches from a pet store who was selling him for $5 because he had hole in the head and they didn't expect him to make it. He's my buddy and gets nothing but the best! :D