Sign in to follow this  
Guest baygentst

Septicemia

Personally I find that totally and utterly demonic and horrific!!! There are much more gentle ways.

Usually the most efficient ways are the most horrific ways.

We are talking about a pet here.

What may be "efficient" is not always "humane".

Besides and most important how do we feel as we are smashing our pets head open with a hammer? It's a very violent action.

A pet we have fed and cared for and become fond of is a precious thing that evokes love. Love and violence do not ever go well together.

Guest baygentst

We really are not sure what it was that the fantail died of but it was upwards 6-9 months before the comet even got sick. The fantail started to bottom sit one day then the next morning was dead. We thought there was a little flat disk looking bug on him with 2 black eyes sorta transparent, don't really know though.

The comet has been in QT since early November with red spotting initially, then with marycn 2 he cleared up completely and then the next morning was spotted again, marycn 2 was clearing him up then he would relapse, but now nothing is effective, his whole tail and parts of his body are red, pimply, and look bad. Red bumps, streaks, spots, some bumps that a look like white heads.

Its weird though hes still eating happily but he just sits in the tank in one position unless somebody comes to the tank. He has not bottom sat at all this whole time.

I don't think hes going to make it, when he stops eating and sits, then i will figure out whats the best way to destroy him. Clove oil i understand is effective.

I really hope that you'll keep trying b4 putting him down.

Did you see fish lice ever? They are tiny green spots that move...

This could be key info.

We thought there was a little flat disk looking bug on him with 2 black eyes sorta transparent, don't really know though.

Fish Lice-look small (? inch), semi-transparent, lacy circles and can be found anywhere on the fish?s body. They can be removed by very carefully restraining the fish and gently scraping the louse off if the fish is large enough and can tolerate gentle handling, or you can treat with an external parasite medication.

Bloody Streaks-Septicemia is a bacterial infection that causes bloody streaks or patches on the skin of the fish. It should be treated with an antibiotic. Bloody patches may also be present due to injuries or parasites such as fish lice.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Fish%20Lice.html

Treatment:Best treated with medication containing Diflubenzuron, like Anchors Away (treat as directed on the package) or Dimillin (3 times with 6 days apart). The visible fish lice should be taken off of the fishes body with tweezers, the red spot that the hooks leave behind, needs to be treated with neosporin or Panalog..

Guest baygentst

The comet does not have fish lice. The fantail that died 8 months ago may have had it. I have looked over the comet a million times and there are no lice on him, no worms.

Trinket, What do you think about removing the ammonia chips and salting to .03 and changing water everyday? Salt is probably the only thing that i have not really tried aggresivly.

I stopped medicating him yesterday, i ordered a different medicated food, medi-gold. I dont know when it will get here or if he will be dead by then.

Edited by baygentst

sorry I added that info. I just thought it would be helpful since you mentioned finding something on the previous fish.

I wouldn't give up on him if he's not ready to give up. Comets are hardy fish, and if they have the will, then I would keep trying. He will let you know when it's time.

Good luck with him...

I wouldn't give up either. If he is still eating, he still wants to live. Good for you to keep trying for him!

Hang on comet!

Trinket, What do you think about removing the ammonia chips and salting to .03 and changing water everyday? Salt is probably the only thing that i have not really tried aggresivly.

I stopped medicating him yesterday, i ordered a different medicated food, medi-gold. I dont know when it will get here or if he will be dead by then.

All credit to you for sticking with this challenge - I agree if he has not given up nor should you if you possibly can summon up a little more positive thinking.

How is he with water changes? Does he get very stressed by them? Weak? Floaty? Some fish do not like to be handled and 100% changes involve that. Better than a net but still stressful.

having said that, I often like to try salt before OTC meds anyway.

Its your call.

100% w/cs daily? I would do 50% am and 50% pm. And salt yes.

Guest baygentst

I have not been doing 100% water changes, hes a-ok with water changes he only gets nervous when you get down to 15-20% water left. As soon has his dorsal fin begins to be exposed he gets stressed, other wise he acts completely normal before and after water changes.

I am doing everything i can to save this fish, we have been taking care of him since November 13 ish.

With salting, how should i go about salting with 50% water changes? Should i salt to the full .3% initially and then every night after doing 50% am and 50% pm changes salt to the full .3 again?

thanks

Edited by baygentst

No dont add all at once. Its a shock.

Add 01% morning at the first 50% and then a farther 0.1% next day up to 0.2% and that may be enough actually. 0.2% is quite strong- see how he does with that over a few days of morning and night EXACT 50% changes temp matched and pH matched. I draw a small line on the tank at 50% mark and top level mark -with a marker to get the same amount of water in and out in when Im salting.

I know you are doing a good job caring for him. You are trying so hard.

Guest baygentst

I just wanted to give an update. I got my medi-gold today and started to feed that along with having the tank at .2% salt for a few days now.

Since adding salt, the fish has been more active not hanging in a vertical position as much and working the gravel a bit. I just started feeding medi-gold today and will continue until further notice. I am also still doing 100% water changes at 50%am 50%pm.

Maybe he will make it after all. He still has bloody fins and spots on his body.

On another note my African cichlid tank has baby fry!

Tom

Edited by baygentst

I admire your persistance. He just might make it! You just might see the light at the end of the tunnel. Congrats on the baby fry!

Guest baygentst

I saw dave chappelle today too haha.

I brought the fish up to .3% today too.

Congrats on the trop fry!!

Whoo I was pleased to see a glimmer of hope here. See, salt is so gentle- so amazing.

Even small plecos can attach to fishes slimecoat. Before euthanising your fish you MUST rule out this possibility by removing the clown pleco and actually both plecos.... just in case. Sick fish are prime targets at night especially. All plecos seem gentle and sweet when we are around, I just have to conclude this is the plecos work- or at least after he got sick- they are stressing him by attaching. He moves sooooo slow and these slow fish are always the targets. I have seen rubbernose plecs attach. They fly onto sick fish and take small bites all over. There are countless stories in another section of the forum about this...

I agreed with Trinket, I had pleco before and he was attacking one of my oranda when he is sick, kinda chasing it and eat his fins.. I saw it as soon as I opened door when reaching home.. I was shocked.. Then I decided to take out the pleco and place him into our garden pond. He should be happy staying there cos there have alot of fishes like koi, plecos, turtle.. Anyhow, this pleco didnt help much, infact he was eating the pellet..maybe my tank was too clean, he have nothing to eat.. LOL..

Guest baygentst

Update:

Most of the red is gone from the body and tails and he seems to be returning to normal, how long should i continue to salt at .3% for? Also is there any other way to convince the fish to eat the medi-gold, he does not dig in the gravel to much, and i tried putting it on a plate in the tank but it just sits there. He likes his floating food.

Thanks! Pics to follow.

Looking forward to update pics.

Have you been feeding other food in with the Medigold - if so it is likely to be ineffective. You may be better to quit and feed him krill, shrimp, high protein foods and brocolli and peas etc. build up his immune response.

You can salt at 0.3% max 3 weeks but 10 days to 2 weeks is enough for most parasite and stress related surface bacterial probs.

Guest baygentst

We have only been putting in the medi-gold, im not sure if hes eating it though, sometimes i think he is and sometimes i dont especially when i clean the tank and there seems to be a lot of waste. After about 15 days if he is clear, can he be moved back to his old 46G bowfront and monitored?

Thanks

Yes of course.

If you have just been feeding the Medigold then continue trying till the course is up. It works on a build up basis so do keep trying. Getting him use to sinking foods is a good idea longterm- as others noted.

Guest baygentst

Side Question:

Is there a way to store the filters or BB so that at a later date, the fish would not have to be moved to an uncycled aquarium. Do people just leave an aquarium running in there house somewhere as a QT tank??

Also do we need to slowly remove the salt from the QT tank before transport to the 46G or can we just pull him from the .3% QT tank to 0% 46G bowfront tank?

Edited by baygentst

We have only been putting in the medi-gold, im not sure if hes eating it though, sometimes i think he is and sometimes i dont especially when i clean the tank and there seems to be a lot of waste. After about 15 days if he is clear, can he be moved back to his old 46G bowfront and monitored?

Thanks

If you watch him, and you see him poop then you know he is eating the food. That was the only way I knew they where eating it untill I put the plate in the tank. What goes in must come out. lol

Yep poop is proof.

You should slowly decrease salt. The last 2 days of salt go down to 0.2% and then the last day 0.1%. Then transfer him on the 3rd day into the 0.% 46. gallon.

Best way IMO to store a filter is on your aquarium. Can never have too many and there is always extra media there waiting when and if you need to QT you can just pull it off and use it right away.

Other way is some people keep a QT tank running all the time with a filter and just feed the empty tank ammonia. You have to feed filters. If you dont - the bbs die.