Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brock

Flotsam Is Unwell

Guest Brock

Hello everyone, I wonder if you can help.

Flotsam is about three years old, but for the last few months he's been sitting at the bottom of the tank, just like in the photo. From time to time he pushes himself up and swims about using just his pectoral fins (he doesn't use his tail fins really) but ultimately he falls back down to the bottom of the tank. I'm also concerned that this behaviour is damaging his pectoral fins. Thinking that it was a swim bladder disorder, I've tried feeding him peas, and I've tried Interpet Swimbladder and internal bacteria treatments (not at the same time), but no luck. I haven't salted recently, but in the past I've only found this to have a temporary benefit (I could be wrong). He shares a tank with Jetsam, who is the same age, but shows no sign of illness, swimming around happily. On reading the other pinned thread about parasites, that's something I haven't looked into yet. Could it be that?

flotsam-2.jpg

Tank conditions are as follows:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 3ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank? 7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Freshwater Master Test Kit - drops

[*]Water temperature? Not sure - room temperature

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 120litres, running for a little under a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? It's a Fluval Plus, but can't think the exact model

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Between once a week and once a fortnight, and about 45 litres

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? two fish. Quite big, sorry don't have the measurements

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra AquaSafe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day sinking and floating dry pellets. A couple of times a week, wet gel food (Tetra Delica bloodworm, brine shrimp etc), peas from time to time.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Not in the last couple of weeks

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Minor bloody streaks in tail, but these usually clear up quickly after a water change

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc. Sitting at the bottom most of the time (see pic), only using pectoral fins when swimming, swimming in backflips

Please help. Flotsam and Jetsam are my pride and joy, and I hate to see them like this. Any advice

what have you usedin meds???any??...Have you ever treated with prazi for flukes ...Flukes are pretty much like fleas..they are notorious little buggers and are hard to kill but with prazi (which is gentle and will not kill your cycle will help)..I would treat for a month ..3 days on 2 off this is to be sure you kill any hatchings that go on .Be sure to treat the tank including jetstream(i'm assuming a goldfish)..as for being sure if it's the problem or not it's hard to say ..but ..flukes do cause many problems .get your fish off the floating food ..and clear a spot in the bottom so he does not get sores from the gravel ..sitting on a smooth surface while he's bottom sitting will keep him comfy. Feed foods high in vitamin C like oranges and kiwis this will help build their immune system ..and if you do get prazi ..you can salt with it :) ..when a fish is a little stressed it might not hurt to salt up to 1% .

what have you usedin meds???any??...Have you ever treated with prazi for flukes ...Flukes are pretty much like fleas..they are notorious little buggers and are hard to kill but with prazi (which is gentle and will not kill your cycle will help)..I would treat for a month ..3 days on 2 off this is to be sure you kill any hatchings that go on .Be sure to treat the tank including jetstream(i'm assuming a goldfish)..as for being sure if it's the problem or not it's hard to say ..but ..flukes do cause many problems .get your fish off the floating food ..and clear a spot in the bottom so he does not get sores from the gravel ..sitting on a smooth surface while he's bottom sitting will keep him comfy. Feed foods high in vitamin C like oranges and kiwis this will help build their immune system ..and if you do get prazi ..you can salt with it :) ..when a fish is a little stressed it might not hurt to salt up to 1% .

I just saw you are in the uk ..Prazi is not available in the Uk ..here is a pinned post of available meds in the Uk Post # 3..I think sterazin is for flukes ...BUT these meds could kill a cycle ..soo if needed ,use with caution ..and never medicate in unperfect water ..

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=23029

Edited by hi-d

blood streak is a sign of finrot but the bottom thing could be lots of things sounds like a sick fish I think I would remove this fish from any others to prevent spread. Even stress related issues like dropsy will spread through a fish population.

If it is swim bladder disease unfortunatley in a lot of cases it can not be cured at all.

I wonder if you shouldn't try omitting all the processed foods and just feeding peas and veggies and shrimp etc- some fish build up an intolerance to the wheat based commercial foods and to any processed foods. He looks rather floaty/sbd to me.

I would start with a 100% water change. Then, throw out all your commercial food that is older than 6 months (as you may as well feed cardboard after they are opened that long in terms of nutritional content) and focus on fresh food/frozen food for a few weeks.