Resin Paint Question

I PM'd Lynda but haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know what type of resin paint I would need to paint over an ornament I wish to put in my tank? I read the thread that J-pond gave me but I still have questions. I want to buy a ceramic Fu Dog to put in my tank and I understood that I could paint over it with resin to keep it from being toxic. Can someone help me on what I need to get to do this? Thanks! :)

This is what Lynda wrote in one of her posts

mmm... I don't know... you might find it at Home Depot. I get it at an art store, like fine arts with canvases and oil paints and drawing supplies, but you might also be able to find it at craft stores like Michaels. You'll want to get bottles vs. the smaller dual syringe type things because the syringes won't have enough resin for what you need. Make sure you get clear and not white. It's called polyester casting resin.

Here's a link to a product Michael's carries: Michael's polyester casting resin

The thread you can find here

Hope this helps.. :)

Rather than simply drying like a paint, resin molecules react and form a solid, and this process is called "curing". Once it is cured, the resin is hard and generally unreactive. However, the individual chemicals are not aquarium-safe.

Yes, porcelain will work.

Edited by A Penguin

I agree with A Penguin.... :) ..Curing is like you have to keep the piece after applying resin for at least 2 weeks to dry...thts it..and later to be on the safe side..soak it in water for 24 hours...Make sure you completely cover it with resin, even the base...and everything dries up for at least 2-3 weeks before going in the tank.. :)

Is the fu dog hollow???...If so..I would first suggest you to pack it up...cos if hollow, you can have water quality issues later...and also would be a little difficult for you to apply resin inside...

I am not sure if the Fu Dog is hollow or not. I am bidding on it on Ebay. If it is hollow, how do I go about packing it up?

Check out Post#8 in this Thread

Vickie filled it up with gravel and sealed it up with aquarium silicone...I really think its the best ways...again that needs curing of about 2-3 weeks...let it dry completely.. :)