Japanese Trapdoor Snail

stevey87

It looks like Japanese Trapdoor Snails are the best choices because they're not asexual so don't have to worry about reproduction out of control as long as you have one or the same sex. They're also one of those rare ones that don't eat plants much and yet still good at cleaning algae. Anybody with experience with these snails? Are they also adequate for cold or warm water aquarium? Sounds like most people keep them in outdoor ponds.

I've got a couple in my Tanganyikan cichlid tank and they do fine.

Most of mine are outside. When they get big they are really cool. They only have a few babies at time.

Here are few pictures of my snails:

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/07...-anacharis.html

Best fishes

David

www....................com

Can you send me some if you have extras? I live in western Canada. Theoretically they're the best types because they do NOT reproduce like crazy and they eat plants the least from all the freshwater snails. Also I personally think these and Columbian Ramshorn Snails have best shell shapes.

Where did you buy them? They're very hard to come by in North American LFS.

Edited by stevey87

By the way, you said you found them in urban waterways. What is that? And where do you live? By the way your shells are so clean and so perfect. I want em all.

Edited by stevey87

I've got extra's just can't ship to Canada, sorry.

There's a body of water in my town that has very few but very large snails in it.

Trapdoors are fairly common in the states and I'm sure you can find them in Canada.

Best fishes

David

Take a look you'll find them in Canada I live a province over see them all the time. I like the exchange of living creatures over a border idea however I think that something may be said unless you were willing to get right permits first (cost much more than just buying one from a store).

Mine are covered in algae that's why they are darker. I like it when they get a carpet of hair algae growing on them, make me think they are old men.

Check out their faces, they are really neat creatures.

Best fishes

David

They have this tongue thing that comes out from the middle and it's pretty close to the stuff in alien movies. Not the prettiest sight. They're painfully slow and I'm surprised non of the fish bothers them. how big do they grow and how long does it take? Right now the shells are barely 1 inch.

You're in Oregon so I'm in BC Canada so your area shouldn't be too different from here. There's probably someone careless enough to throw out these snails to local rivers.

Edited by stevey87