Guppy And 2 Neons

Hey guys. I was sitting by the 5 gallon hex just a few minutes ago, watching the guppy and my two african dwarfs. I feel really bad for this guppy, he's alone. Originally one of three, they all had issues every time the water changed.. ended up losing two. They've always acted funny and its to the point now that mom and I keep the guppy and neons together in their old water and let the new water sit in the tank a few days - this seems to work well.

Right now I have 2 neons in my 37 gallon only because I was told it would help cycle it. They eat, but for a few days they seemed really freaked - I guess 37 gallons is a TON for those guys! I feel bad in that situation, too. They aren't going to be there forever.. its for more goldfish. Originally I had 3 neons, 2 glofish and the 3 guppies. Yeahh.. all but the 2 neons and 1 guppy died.

We don't wish to put anymore money into these guys. My parents don't care for aquariums, neither does my sister. I've got my hands full with the 37, 55 and terrarium. A part of me thinks I should find homes for them.. but I have no idea who would have placement for them! :( I also feel extremely guilty at this point, I brought them home and now they seem to be neglected.

I don't know what to do. Poor things. :(

I don't think your neglecting them..how often did you do water changes? I only did water changes like every 6 months when i had tropical fish, including guppies and molies. If the filter worked well they don't need the water changes too often.

Thanks guys, that helps a bit. But do you think I need more? The guppy would be a schooling type fish, or no? I know that neons are usually in groups of 5 or more, but when they're back in the 5 gallon hex with the guppy and 2 ADFs I think any more fish would be a bad idea. I do have 2 ten gallon tanks I could set up but.. BUT there's no where to set that up. My parents are furious just with the 5 gallon. :(

Our water changes are done maybe once a month, sometimes twice. With the frogs in there, it can get to be dirty fast and that's when we change it.

yeah.. i also heard that neons should be at least 5 of them... As for guppies, I am not very sure.. sorry, couldnt help u d.

I have 4 neon tetra, 2 rasbora and 2 blue eye tetra.. I am not sure they are in same family with your neons..

Mine are all cheap fish (less than RM1, :D each). I dont wan to buy expensive tetras or guppies as I am still new on fish thing...

So far, they are happy in a glass bowl. Need to put plant. They loves plant.

I am sorry about your lost.. And if I am you, I will get another guppy for companion.. 1 will look lonely. I cant see lonely fish.. Just my opinion.. Hope other expert will help you on this..

Thanks. :) I'm thinking the same thing. I really want to put up the 10 gallon.. I could attempt to mention that to my parents today. "Hey, since we're not putting up a Christmas tree this year, can I set up a 10 gallon tank?" lol doubt it though. I just need to make sure they have room before I go grabbing more fish, ya know? :(

Thanks guys, that helps a bit. But do you think I need more? The guppy would be a schooling type fish, or no? I know that neons are usually in groups of 5 or more, but when they're back in the 5 gallon hex with the guppy and 2 ADFs I think any more fish would be a bad idea. I do have 2 ten gallon tanks I could set up but.. BUT there's no where to set that up. My parents are furious just with the 5 gallon. :(

Our water changes are done maybe once a month, sometimes twice. With the frogs in there, it can get to be dirty fast and that's when we change it.

I know how you feel. I just have 2 neons left out of my 5 origionals. I know they are unhappy because they need a bigger group, but I don't think I want to keep them anymore so I'm pretty much letting the last two live out their lives. I'm starting to reconsider, but for now they just hide all the time, I do feel bad but there's not much I can do if I don't want to buy more of them. And I agree, if you put them back in the 5 gallon that would be way too many fish.

As for the guppy, they can be social but I've also seen them really harass one another. I have 2 now that get along quite well. A good tip for keeping guppies happy is to have some plants that grow to the surface or float, they like to hang out in them and feel safe.

Yeah, the guppy has some plants in the 5 gallon, I just feel like he's alone. Zee, one of my ADFs likes to try to nip at the guppy's tail.. lol weird since they can barely see what's in front of them. Other than that, the guppy and neons would hang out together.. I didn't move the guppy to the 37 with the neons only because I know how "fragile" this guppy is. Yes, in a way I want to find him a new home but another part of me thinks he wouldn't make it with someone else either. I'm kinda in the same boat.. just letting the neons live out their lives. I feel SO guilty thinking that though!!

Aww lol yeah, they're pretty healthy. My sister came in last night and actually started talking to me. Thought they were new neons.. not the same ones as before. "You're just USING them?" lol it's like.. great, make me feel bad huh?

I actually spoke to a guy at the lfs and he said no more than 3 fish in my 5 gallon hex, so I guess I have it right after all..

I'd be scared to ship the poor guys! lol or else you could have them!

I have one male guppy in a 16 gal. with other types of fish (platy, hatchetfish, danios, pygmy cory and female betta) and he seems perfectly happy with that. He has no trouble getting his share of food and likes to swim all around exploring.

Not sure why people think you don't have to clean trops as often because I clean/vacuum mine every week and get out lots of debris. I feed lightly once a day but those little critters can generate more waste than you realize! :P

ahh yeah j pond you got to change water more often than that. Way way way more often but thanks for the educated answer lol. Before we own pets we should all consider the reprecussions of not knowing how to look after them wouldn't want my parents neglecting me. If it has been six months you are neglecting your fish bro get a cleaning in there. Although amount of water % depends on load you have (amount of waste fish create amount of fish and amount of space for fish) you should be doing this fairly regularly.

As for the real issue if you ask your local stores one will probably will take them as a surrender. You may get store credit but look up your local aquaria club as well someone will want them

Yeah, I've noticed the dirt.. I've started cleaning it more often. Especially with the ADFs in the tank, they make a huge mess.. since they never find all of their food.

Thanks guys. :) My guppy seems ok, as do my neons. I think it'll all work out.