New Betta

Imber

Hi, I've been pretty good about not bringing home bettas, but recently I've had a couple moments of weakness and brought home the adorable little guys. Anyway, I got one on wednesday and he's beautiful, but I'm a little worried that he might have velvet since he has a golden color that I don't often see on petstore bettas. Part of the reason I bought him was that he is so unique looking. He's short finned which you don't see much of and I think he's older because his fins show signs of scars and regrowth. He's a feisty little guy and certainly doesn't act sick(he ate immediately), but I just worry and was wondering if you guys could look at his pictures and give me your opinions. I tend to think it's just coloration because of the way it's on the rays of the tail fin and just looks right, but I don't really know what velvet looks like so I'm not sure. I've started to salt his water just as a normal new fish procedure.

kris1.jpg

kris2.jpg

kris3.jpg

kris4.jpg

his name is Kristofferson since he reminds me of a grizzled old bad#$@

:)

Edited by Imber

Cute fishy but are you sure that's not a female? Here's a pic of one of my girls--some of her fins got a little ratty too when another fish kept nipping at her (they have been separated of course!)--

HPIM4727.jpg

I didn't know much about velvet but found this site with a picture and some info. Maybe it will help you determine if your baby has it or not.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/velvet_betta.php

I'm with Kristi - are you sure he's not a she? This could explain the yellowy colour as female are generally not as vibrant as males.

I'm not too familiar with velvet either so I couldn't say; but hopefully your good care of him/her will have him/her looking in top form soon.

I don't think it is a female... I have a female and have had lots of them in the past but this new one doesn't have an eggspot(which I know might not be visible) also what caught my eye in the first place was that he was flaring and had a full mane or whatever you call that stuff that male bettas pull out when they're angry :) . My girl flares too but she just sticks her gills out to the side and doesn't have a full thing that comes out. I can't get him to do it now for a picture of course but I'm hoping when I get him in his bigger tank he'll be more willing. Plus the girls that they had there were like half the size of this guy. I know it's really weird to see short tail males at petstores, but in the past couple of weeks I've seen them at both of my local wallyworlds and they're just labeled as "male-roundtail" and they're always flaring at each other and pulling out their boy gill bits. Every once in a while a weird betta will trickle down to that store which makes me wonder if their stock comes from someone that breeds the higher quality bettas. Last summer I picked up a female doubletail betta that was absolutely beautiful but she was missing an eye and had a really nasty internal infection and I couldn't get her to eat anything and just water meds weren't enough to save her :(

omg I just got him to flare but holding a mirror in one hand and trying to take pictures in the other didn't give me very good picture :( Here's the best I could get

kris5.jpg

kris6.jpg

the first one you can see the mane pretty well... the second one he had put it mostly away but you can see the fullness of the fins which makes him look more masculine I think(well except for the fact that he's purple but we don't talk about that)

not all females have the egg spot. However I think the other writer may be right in that you have a plakat. They tend to be a bit more aggressive then the veils. I do not think you have velvet but rather his color is a copper. Copper bettas are a new color and depending on the mood of the fish and lighting can give an appearance of sheen or (velvet) to it