Uv Sterilizers Is It Neccessary

lasojuju

I'm wondering uv Sterilizersis is it really need for goldfish. I love my goldfishes don't get me wrong .I just spend like $900 bucks on my fish tank last two weeks .But uv Sterilizers is my last thing in my list.So any advice or comment?? :blink:

UVs can be very nice and quite useful. They are the "extra", though, in most tanks.

A UV will ONLY kill parasites if the "dwell time" of the water is long enough. THis means that the water/parasite must be in the ultraviolet light long enough for it to kill an organism. The bigger and more "complicated" the life form, the longer this time is. If you have a large tank, you need al arger unit - if you have large parasites, you need a larger unit = and slower pump time.

Most UVs are set with a too fast pass through the unit - and will not kill larger parasites. You need to calculate out the dwell time you wish - to kill that which you are trying to kill.

A UV unit will ONLY kill that which is free swimming and passes through the unit in the wtaer. It will not kill parasites that are on the fish, nor will it kill or slow the type of algae, brown or green, that attaches to the tank sides and deco. UV will only kill the ich organism when it is in free swimming form. It will not kill during the encysted stage or in the stage where it is actually ON the fish.

I have UVs on many tanks. I do not have them on all. Many do not need them. Some - particularly tanks that house sick or injured fish and fish coming in from nasty, infected ponds - have a MONSTER UV unit on them. They can work well.

It is pretty much your choice. :)

i was looking at goldfishconnection 25w uv sterilizer . It seem to be good .But my acrylic tank has only two open slots .(16x2)inch on the back side.

One of them already used for my emperor 400, and that uv looks pretty big like 30 plus inch long.My tank is 48 inches long . I m wondering will that thing fits in my aquarium . i mean hung in the of the slot 16x2 inches??

I have the Goldfish Connection unit in my attic. :( . But I used it for awhile, so maybe I can help.

The unit itself is 30" long, but the pipes it actually hangs from are maybe 3-4" inside the ends [does this make sense?]. So you would need to position the unit, probably in the center of your tank's back, with a pipe into each of the two openings.

I have a couple of complaints with this unit and if I get another, will switch to the turbo-twists that Daryl uses. First of all, it is realllly bulky. The way it hangs on the tank, you can use a couple of Emperor-type filters, positioned above the unit and that would be cool... But I don't use that type of filter. I use canisters and it seems like this uv intereferes with the placement of my hoses. Hoses either have to be stretched over the unit, making them more difficult to stabilize... or smashed between the unit and the glass, making them much more difficult to access. I don't like to wrestle with hoses, yadda, yadda on a regular basis. Too busy!

Another complaint is that when I was keeping Jikin, which are somewhat delicate and prone to ich, this unit with the accompanying pump did not help with my ich situation... at all. Constant battle.

My tanks are planted with nitrate-loving anubias, so I don't really worry about green water and did not need a uv for that application. As mentioned earlier in this thread, uv's do nothing for the brown algae on your glass [yech-ptooey]. I bought female, Medussa Plecos [these are small, very docile, albeit pricy, pleco's] for that purpose and they are wonderful. I love them. The uv unit quickly became obsolete and as I said, is in my attic.

But I like the idea of uv for parasite control and imagine will be purchasing turbo-twist units at some point.