Filter Experiences

I would not use either line of canisters from Marineland. Fluvals are definitely better.

The only issues would be if a hose came off or the canister itself leaked (didn't seal properly or you crack it or something). Just make sure the hoses are on tight and the top and bottom seal together nice and tight.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think opinions on this vary as much as individuals do. I love canister filters, but on a 29 g tank, a good HOB is easier and is certainly efficient enough, if you watch your stocking level [which of course you'd do, anyway]. First of all, get the biggest HOB that will fit on the back of your tank. Don't worry about going considerably over the 10X recommendation. Just don't go under! If you have smaller or weaker fish, you can make modifications so they don't get "grabbed" by the uptake. I like Aquaclear 500's on 29 g. tanks. Aquaclear offers lots of media choices. You don't have a biowheel, but you have substantially more bio-surface with sponges and ceramic media than you do with the cartridges in a biowheel unit. Of course, you don't have the convenience of disposable cartirdges with an Aquaclear, though. You have to shut the unit down and rinse sponges. I stopped using biowheel units 20 years ago when they had spray bars that used to clog with algae, constantly. I am sure the design is better today... and they are still wildly popular as you'll recognize on the various goldfish lists.

Again, love my canister filters on larger tanks. But it was mentioned earlier in the thread that canister filters are a "closed" system. Bingo! In the event that your canister stops working for an extended period [power failure, jammed impellar depending on model, etc.], it doesn't take terribly long for a canister to go anaerobic and TOXIC. I had this happen one time. Two Marineland Magnum canisters on one 55 g. tank... one stopped working and I didn't unplug it while I waited for a replacement to arrive... Apparently there was a short in the motor and it came back on, pumping toxins into my tank that quickly killed my Orandas. Major bummer. So, one down-side I can think of is that canisters are closed systems and become anaerobic/toxic if they lose their water flow. Less convenient to clean and service, too.

As far as canisters go, I have used several. I currently have four, Rena Filstar XP4's and I like them, OK. But as I look at the functional design, it occurs to me that the Eheims are probably more efficient, because of the way the water is forced to the bottom of the units and then up through the media. It appears that the Rena's allow for a lot of water to pass around the media baskets vs. being forced underneath and then through the baskets. And when you clean an XP, a lot of the debris is in the water around the baskets vs. in the media! Get yourself a Foster & Smith catalog and look at the diagrams of the functional design of these two filters... But they, along with the fluvals and Magnums are the most popular canisters with goldie people.

Edited by CometKeeper

It is so true that everyone has their own opinions and I guess I am still too new to goldies to have my own opinion. The filters I have on the 29 are what came with it, a 200 Biowheel and a 15 Whisper. I know that I will have to upgrade in a year (or sooner) as I have three young goldies in the 29. I notice that the nitrates get to 20ppm by the end of my seven day water cycle. So I do want something that will make the transition to the upgrade. Would you still suggest a new HOB over a canister? I'm pretty much open to all opinions and really just want to learn and put my money into the best thing for now and the future. Thanks!

I think you had said this would be an okay choice (I'm kind of trying to keep it to $100 if I can), but E-Baby has the 404 on sale for $99...what do you think of that option? Thanks again for the hand-holding through this process...I am so scared to buy the wrong thing.

I think you had said this would be an okay choice (I'm kind of trying to keep it to $100 if I can), but E-Baby has the 404 on sale for $99...what do you think of that option? Thanks again for the hand-holding through this process...I am so scared to buy the wrong thing.

The place I got my Fluval 404's from has them for $84.95. Brand new and free shipping. I've bought four from there and had no problems.

Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://stores.ebay.com/TINYS-POND-WORLD_Aq...8QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Thanks, Kathy! You must really like these filters if you have four of them! I know one of these I could run on my 29 without my HOB, but how big of a tank would you run one on? Would one be good for a 55? I could put my HOB on that as well.

Thanks, Kathy! You must really like these filters if you have four of them! I know one of these I could run on my 29 without my HOB, but how big of a tank would you run one on? Would one be good for a 55? I could put my HOB on that as well.

I use the HOB as well as the cannisters. On my 75 gallon I have the Fluval 404 and two Empereror 400's. On the Lavender 55 gallon I have a Fluval 404 and an Emperor 400(came with the tank). I'm planning on putting the other two Fluvals on the 55 Telescope tank along with the Penquin 330 and the 55 gallon that has the fry in once they are gone, again with a Penquin 330. On my 29 gallon I have a Whisper 40 internal filter and a Fluval 205 cannister.

That is a good deal, they retail for $200. (The 405, the 404 is just the older line.)

I use Fluvals, and have for ten years now. They are definitely a great option and online pricing on them is great.

Are hobs or cannisters noisey on the fluval range. I have a fluval 2 filter in my 20 gallon tank and the thing is wonderful and silent is it the same for hobs/canisters?

Hi all,

Well, I had pretty much decided on the Fluval 404 but I had heard that you can't get replacement parts anymore because it is an older model. I've also heard a lot of people suggest Rena...ugh!

I really am ready to buy and want to try and keep the cost to $125 if I can...has anyone seen anything on Big Al's or Ebay that I would be good to go for? I was all set to get the 404 and now am confused again... :unsure:

Okay, you were the one I was hoping to hear from:) So you like the 404, you like the buyer (that is who I was planning to buy from)...now I probably already asked you this but would on 404 work for my 29 gallon? Would I get two for an upgrade to a 55 down the road?

How was the set up? I may be PM'ing you when it comes to set up time...

Okay, you were the one I was hoping to hear from:) So you like the 404, you like the buyer (that is who I was planning to buy from)...now I probably already asked you this but would on 404 work for my 29 gallon? Would I get two for an upgrade to a 55 down the road?

How was the set up? I may be PM'ing you when it comes to set up time...

I use the 404's along with HOB filters and have not had any problems. My 75 has a 404 and two Emperor 400's. Two of my 55 gallons have the 404 and an Emperor 400. My 29 gallon has a Fluval 205 cannister and a Whisper I40 at the moment. The 404 might have too strong of a flow for a 29. The flow can be adjusted to half but it's not reccommended to cut it any more than that. Two on a 55 should be fine. I'm pretty new to using the cannisters so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here too, lol.

Set up wasn't bad once I figured out what went where. You do have to put parts of it together. The first one took a bit of figuring but I always have trouble with written instructions. I do much better if actually can be shown. I don't have any trouble now since I know how it's done, lol.

I got all of mine from tiny's pond World and have not had any problems with ordering or getting my orders.

Edited by Kathy B

Okay, I am just about to order and was all set for the Fluval 404...but now I am worried it will be to strong of a flow on my 29...should I go a bit smaller? My inclination is to get the biggest I can afford, but I don't want to blow my goldies all over the tank.

I just spoke with the tech at Tiny's Pond World and they said I should definately go with the Fluval 304. I can run this without an HOB if I want and it should be perfect. The 404 would be too strong. What do you guys think?

Hi all,

Sorry for interrupting here... I just bought a bio-filter (waterfall type)for my 6 gal tank.. The filter flow is 400Liter/hour. Guess it is more than enough for my 6gal tank...

The problem is, my oranda, popo's tail (she have a long tail) got stuck at the inlet causing her cant swim (just float there). Should I reduce the flow rate by adjusting the "valve"?

Thanks..