Has Anyone Seen Tosakin Gf For Auction In Us?

It would be nice to know where these beautiful fish can be found. I've read they're rare in USA.

Once I know of a source I can start saving money after I get a job in spring.. @_@ :heart:heart:heart

tosakin6.jpg

Ken had some REALLY nice ones - and I think he still does. You may wish to give him a call to see. He is VERY easy to work with.....

Dandy Orandas. Ken Fischer. 614.252.0690

I have some pictures on my blog, but keep in mind tosakins can be very challenging to keep. First, since their caudal is not divided, they tend to be slower swimmers which can make it a challenge for them to compete with other goldfish for food. Feeding should almost be supervised. :) Second, they do best in shallow environments wiht little to no water movement. Best with a sponge filter. Looking beyond that, they are stunning fish to have in a smaller container pond or a long, shallow tank.

Good luck!

Ed :)

Ken had some REALLY nice ones - and I think he still does. You may wish to give him a call to see. He is VERY easy to work with.....

Dandy Orandas. Ken Fischer. 614.252.0690

I'll write this information down and bookmark the websites! Thank you~

I have some pictures on my blog, but keep in mind tosakins can be very challenging to keep. First, since their caudal is not divided, they tend to be slower swimmers which can make it a challenge for them to compete with other goldfish for food. Feeding should almost be supervised. :) Second, they do best in shallow environments wiht little to no water movement. Best with a sponge filter. Looking beyond that, they are stunning fish to have in a smaller container pond or a long, shallow tank.

Good luck!

I hand-feed my fish their normal food and vegetables and fruit are fed via veggie clip,so the supervision won't be a problem at all.

I don't know how much of a current I will have until my aquarium(christmas) is set up, but I'll definitely consider that factor~

Thanks you for the information! I'll check out the blog, too~

The gentleman from Hawaii...rain garden? He breeds them! Also, I've always wanted a definitive answer on this from one on the Jedi Goldfish council...is it true that tosakin can't breed naturally? I'm not sure how their tail would affect their woohoos...but I've read in at least one place they have to be ''groomed'' by humans to breed...False? True? What I would think is so as not to affect tail ripping and such that people would intervene to get a smooth transition...however, that wouldn't mean that they couldn't naturally produce fry, right?

Good luck!

Heard you received them on Oct or Nov shipment. Did you sell them all?

Edited by Ranchu69

Steve Hopkins in Hawaii, usually has Tosakin available. He is a breeder and I believe his breeding stock is directly from Japan. He has reasonable shipping and healthy stock. Always quick to answer questions and he has a scientific background, which is cool. My impression is that his main interest is getting fish out to people who want them - i.e., sharing his passion for goldfish with others. Steve alo has other Japanese varieties available: Jikin, Watonai and lots of groovy Wakin. Nice Hibuna, Comets, Ranchu, etc., etc. No Tamasabas! Bummer. But give him time. Find Steve at www.raingarden.us.

Steve Hopkins in Hawaii, usually has Tosakin available. He is a breeder and I believe his breeding stock is directly from Japan. He has reasonable shipping and healthy stock. Always quick to answer questions and he has a scientific background, which is cool. My impression is that his main interest is getting fish out to people who want them - i.e., sharing his passion for goldfish with others. Steve alo has other Japanese varieties available: Jikin, Watonai and lots of groovy Wakin. Nice Hibuna, Comets, Ranchu, etc., etc. No Tamasabas! Bummer. But give him time. Find Steve at www.raingarden.us.

:exactly

Speaking of Tosakin, the way they are traditioanally cultured in Japan is fascinating to me. The Japanese keep them in large, porcelain or earthenware "Tosakin pots" or "Tosakin bowls". The shape of these containers is broad and shallow and perfectly round. There is no filtration or aeration or anything that will cause water agitation, other than daily, large water changes. Somehow, this is conducive to that definitive upward curl to their caudal fins. Sure sounds like a challenge. I know Steve Hopkins has Tosakin bowls for his own personal use. I have never found them for sale on the internet and imagine Steve got them in Japan. Does anyone know of a source??