Acrylic Or Glass Aquarium?

I want to add another large tank, say a 65 or 75 gallon tank. I have an all glass 55 gallon already. I have seen some acrylic tanks for sale but I have heard that they scratch easily. What are the pro's and con's of glass or acrylic aquariums? Please advise, thanks :)

I've done so much research before I bought my 29 gal glass tank and I wanted to buy acrylic but the truth is they're hard to find in most lfs and they cost twice as more. You can buy them online.

Summary of the research I did is...

Pros

- lighter

- seams are better (don't wear out after many years like some glass tanks)

- better view of the fish (no distorted view like glass)

- comes in many different shapes

- can fix scratch HOWEVER I read somewhere that the way you fix it is a product that gets rid of the scratch by melting the area or something

Cons

- higher price

- has to be supported on all the bottom surface area of the tank (no metal stands that only hold the edges or stands that only hold the middle because the material can bend more easily)

- bend more easily to pressure unless the wall is very thick

- scratch a lot more easily than glass

- (not a common one listed on cons) as time goes on the acrylic material can change color to yellowish

The major con of each is glass is heavier but acrylic scratches very easily.

The way I look at it: how often are you moving the tank and how often are you looking at it?

My cousin runs his own aquairum maintenance business and refuses to work on acrylic (unless they pay a lot more than they would if it was glass) because of how much of a pain it is when it comes to scratching.

I have 2 acrylic tanks but both are small, less than 20 gallons. It is very handy to be able to move them so easily, I've lifted them up, water, rocks and all, with no trouble. I also bought a special algae sponge that won't scratch them. However, other things can scratch them, like rocks being shifted, or in the case of my frog, his claws. So I guess it's important to think about what will be in the tank and what you'll be doing to it.

I think for the size of tank you want, and for the amount of cleaning you need to do with goldies, glass may be the better option.

Here is a horror story for you.

A guy that comes in to where my cousin works bought a 180 gallon acrylic to do as a reef. He has a Mag-Float in there and his nephew or something wiped the whole tank with sand in the Mag-Float. He had to buy a whole new 180 because of it.

A guy that comes in to where my cousin works bought a 180 gallon acrylic to do as a reef. He has a Mag-Float in there and his nephew or something wiped the whole tank with sand in the Mag-Float. He had to buy a whole new 180 because of it.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, my sister cleaned one of my 'critter keepers' with an SOS pad (made for cleaning steel!). When she was done you couldn't even see through it

• Admin

I can see that happening, when I had my Nano Cube tank up I had to place the live rock in the tank very carefully and when cleaning it with the scrubber I made sure there wasnt debris in it...

yeah if I have a choice of tanks I would go with glass :)