Who's Shutting Down Their Ponds?

lantern567

It's been very cold here at night. I did get my floating island sunk to the bottom, though there are still a few floating plants I need to get out. The frogs must be at the bottom, hibernating already. And the fish are just drifting about. The waterfall is still running, but that will be shut down soon.

How is everyone else diong?

Our days have been pretty warm here (it was in the 80s and 90s last week!!) but it's finally starting to get really cold at night. This pond has run for about 15 years now. Last winter it actually had ice on it and most of the fish came through just fine. It's a good mix of commons and comets and one koi.

I've still been feeding them since it's been warm but I may stop pretty soon. Has everyone else stopped feeding?

Last winter I had my 40 gallon container pond that I let go through early December. It was on a sheltered porch and I had a 300 watt heater on it, which kept it heated to about 60 degrees F. I finally took it down, deciding that if the power went out one night, it could easily freeze solid.

The water temp in my pond is twixt 40 and 45 degrees and heading down. Last week the air was warmish (50 to 60)and the big boys were hanging around the feeding circle, so I gave them some wheat germ. Now, I dont believe a typical "warmish" period will be enough to overcome the sustained cold weather we are moving into.

Oliver