Yes, Einstein Again

newbiefishgirl

Alright so it sounds like you are seeing definate improvement and that is fabulous because it means you've got the right med!!! I would love to see an updated picture if you have the chance...

Now's where I wonder if it's a good idea to continue for another 4 day course, or end.... When I treated Samantha, she got better within the 4 days, and Imo and I ALMOST decided to continue with the meds a second course, but she had basically FULLY recovered. And even then it came back, so now looking back I think we wish we had done a second course. Given that your 4 days are up, and you are still seeing improvement, but she still has a bit to go, maybe Imo will suggest you continue the meds for another few days.. But I will leave that decision up to her because she knows all the do's and don'ts! :)

Either way, I am glad Einstein is hanging in there, AND doing better. THis is wonderful news! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!! : )

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sue! She is definitely better but there is some pretty blaring red and her fins are still frayed. I am going to have to get a disabled only fish tank! LOL.

When everyone wakes up around here I will get a pic. If I start camera flashing at 6 am I might be in trouble.

I know the "box" stated you could treat up to 4 times.

I think Imo and I decided it was ok to do a second round because of her size. I will have to re-read thread to double check....but that is what I thought the plan was.

She is still an upside down floater...but what can you say..upside down floater that is getting better!

Ok here are the new pictures:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808001.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808002.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808003.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808004.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808005.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808006.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...in112808007.jpg

Ok you can see the receding redness. It looks like the fins are healing, they are still a mess but not brittle and breaking everywhere.

The red streaks are decreasing.

I added another dose of the trip sulf beginning of day 5...states you can treat up to 16?????? I am looking at two treatments now...8 days and see from there. What do you think?

Is it looking better or just my wishful thinking?

Look like the red is dissapearing on the side and base of dorsal fin that is sticking out of the water. the two scales that were red and sticking out of the water look like a black scab...not dark black just darker I guess. The other one she had like that has dissapeared.

Is this healing? Her tail fins look about the same.

I am going to continue with treatment unless advised otherwise. Day 6.

Oh my goodness, so much info! :stars It's crazy how Imo and Sue and everyone can keep it all straight!! Even yourself, Stephie!

Einstein is so beautiful, I really do hope this is healing. Medicating fish can be so exhausting. I'm so glad Einstein is hangin' in there. :) I'd continue with treatment until advised, too. I'm assuming a glimmer of healing can be thrown back a few steps if taken off meds too soon.

Sorry not to get back faster Stephie. She looks a little better yes. As far as redness goes. She is still swollen and I can see her poop looks gassy which may mean she has a belly full of air there. Hopefully not eggs. What is she eating again? I forget.

Have you ever tried gently stroking her belly and seeing a) if its hard or soft and b) if she is very extra-slimey?

She is so pretty :)

Ahhh..leave it to you to notice the poop in the pictures...I didn't even notice until I went back and looked just this moment.

Peas and shrimp. Get gets a couple peas for breakfast and a little shrimp after water change.

Actually, her belly was really soft, now it seems to be hardening (like the rest of her body) except for the one spot where the bump is. It may be my eyes but it seems to be getting smaller. ????

The last two pics above show the little black spots. One on her tail fin and the two on her side????? :hummm

She is very pretty, I just wish I could get her from upside down mode! Poor kiddo!

I have to run now, but I am going to try and get some more pictures and try to do a before after thing.

Thanks guys!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Obviously I didn't get around to pics yesterday. Too much going on !

Ok, I am thinking I should get a thermometer and put it in the bucket with her. but with all the evil stories on the floating kind....????

Imo-eggs was what i think we started at...thinking she was egg bound. Would this cause and infection like she had?

I am salting for fins...no epsom salt with aquarium salt...but what about the heater?

I don't have a thermometer (how do you spell this stupid word and where is my spell check? lol)

The red is almost entirely gone. The black dots receding. I think I will take more pics just because I can see her better too. Hanging upside down over the bathtub makes me dizzy!

Ideas?

More pics always help but dont make yourself sick getting them!! Also you can always take the pic right way up hun and edit it in photobucket -flip it upside down there...Eggs that get infected inside can cause swelling and flipover yes.

Low salt is fine- up to 0.2% is fine for her. The black dots are not a worry. Erroneous healing pigmentation probably, I doubt they are blood spots.

Tentatively, the meds seem to have helped a bit do you think?

meds....Oh definitely! Much much better! Red is all gone!

I would love to flip over the pics in photobucket....but the problem lies in the fact that I have the rubbermaid in my bathtub which basically sits on the ground, so I have to hang upside down. :wacko:

I will wait the 8 days then try to figure out what is next. I am just wondering if warming up the tank (without boiling the fish) will get eggs out if that is what it is???? The lump.

so tonight will be the start of day 7.

So last night was the last night of treatment (8 days on Triple sulfa)

She looks better. I will post pics when I get home tonight.

Thoughts on continuing meds or stopping? 8 days= 2 doses, with max of 4 (on the box)

Imo- what should I do with my crazy fish? :wub:

Lets see a pic first and take it from there.

Have you lifted her btw, often just simply lifting her in your hand will help expell eggs if they are in there..Sunshinegirl did this successfully recently.

ok...it actually looks like she is getting some color back in the expanded (lump) area. But I wanted to make sure her fins were ok. I took pics last night, will take some tonight and post.

Going to check JC's thread. Thanks!

There does seem to be an excessive amount of slimy substance on the bottom of the rubbermaid and the airstone. Is this slimecoat?? or the meds?? or a bad reaction in the rubbermaid.

Einstein seems fine, she likes trying to swim to the bottom where the slime coat is. I didn't notice until i did her water change tonight. Wow

Wow, what a comeback. I definitely see some improvement on the scale-less portion! Maybe some scales starting to grow back?

Good job! I won't offer advice on continuing the meds, but I'm rooting for you and Einstein!

Just about to look at the pix if- you are still there Stephie. Another dose is fine probably. Check back when you wake. Goodnight!

Edit: Saw the pix. WOW! Good job. Looks like all the surface infection is now clear. And maybe inside too...we still dont know if this is swelling from infection or eggs or sb deformity or even kidney failure..

Next step is...make this the very last dose of meds....once the surface has cleared like that I think you will find its enough. Finish this dose however.

How are you doing with feeding? Peas? Shrimp? What else?

Yay! That is something to wake up to! :D

Ok, just been feeding shrimp and peas....mainly since they have been easy for her to eat and me to get together. I have sinking pellets of progold, sinking pellets of shrimp, hikari (sp?) blood worms, spirula, peas......I keep thinking of making a gel food, it would have to wait until weekend...there is just no time during the week.

So take her out of med water....slimy bottom of rubbermaid??? meds? slimecoat?

Ok, new babies have been qt'd, prazi'd and salted from about well over a month. Could/should I put them in the 60 gall with Artemis and Callie and put my challenged swimmers....Einstein and Esteban in the 20 gall? Or just leave them in the 60???

Slimey stuff is the slimecoat that the meds have rubbed off. Actually that will be the salt has done that. Its all good. But wipe it away now..

Spirula is good, bloodworms I think are fine. Avoid the processed commercial food for a whilel I think. it gives many fish gas/bloat/allergies. Go for gel food soon as you can and add lactobacillus.

The room sharing is your call. The 2 challenged would be better together probably and away from raucus newbies.

There does seem to be an excessive amount of slimy substance on the bottom of the rubbermaid and the airstone. Is this slimecoat?? or the meds?? or a bad reaction in the rubbermaid.

I had this, too.. when Angel was being treated with Maracyn II. Its creepy.

Ohh!! Einstein looks better! Yay! :D That is definitely good news to wake up to! You've done a wonderful job.. she's a fighter!

Thank you, thank you!

Do I need to keep salting? Or should I stop that too?

I will probably rearrange the tanks this weekend. It will make it easier for me than having to tank dive to pick Esteban up and feed her.

I can see it now, busy weekend! Tanks and gel food! Thanks for all the help and support, it is very much appreciated! :wub:

Yes if you have finished that last course of meds- give her a break. Did you make gelfood? By the time I got the PM I supposed it was too late. Sorreeee!