What Is Best For Algae Eating

El Pez

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what would be best for algae consumption. I was thinking of getting a otto catfish for my planted tank and maybe a pleco for my 55 non-planted. Will both of these eat the brown kind of algae? I have a red tailed black shark in my 55 but he only chows a tiny bit on the glass, nothing that helps out though. ideas?

i personally like the bristlenose pleco the best.

i have:

hillstream loaches

common pleco

rubberlip pleco

bristlenose pleco

and the BN's and common do the best, but due to the common getting to be over a foot long, the BN's are a lot easier to keep. :)

Yes I love my bristlenose family best too (haha but I only have one lot of plecs)...but I dont know if they eat the brown algae or not. I mean I dont have any brown algae at all in the tank they are in but I still cannot be sure if that is because they ate it or because my water balance and cycle are strong.

I've recently started keeping ottos for the same reason. Of the 4 I got only 1 survived, they can be very hard to transition into a new tank :(

However, the one I have left is fantastic. He does eat algae and he's very fun to watch.

Brown algae is a low-light algae and usually you need to get new bulbs if you start getting some. Usually if you have enough light for plants you don't have to worry about it.

For planted tanks ottos and bristlenose are the best. The gold nugget in my 75 is doing a great job in there though, even though it is one of the mroe carnivorous species.

For non-planted tanks I would go with the same options. They don't get too big and definitely do the job. For tanks with big aggressive fish in them many like to go with common plecos, but i have found that in such tanks the extra bioload and massive quantities of feces are not even close to worth it. And as they get bigger they are less effective and prefer wood over algae most of the time.

I am using (was suggested) a different method to solve an algae issue on planted tank. Here is the solution..

- Dose the tank with all necessary nutrient regularly.

- Give the tank enough light for certain period of time per day

- Inject CO2

- plant heavily

The main idea here is to balance everything(ecology). If your tank environment is balance, it doesn't have enough nutrient for algae to take over. I also put some ottos in the tank but they don't have any algae to eat. As a result, I have to feed them w/ algae wafer.

I am using (was suggested) a different method to solve an algae issue on planted tank. Here is the solution..

- Dose the tank with all necessary nutrient regularly.

- Give the tank enough light for certain period of time per day

- Inject CO2

- plant heavily

The main idea here is to balance everything(ecology). If your tank environment is balance, it doesn't have enough nutrient for algae to take over. I also put some ottos in the tank but they don't have any algae to eat. As a result, I have to feed them w/ algae wafer.

I also increased the light (got a better bulb - even if you have a good one and it's over 6 months old, it's worth it), added a basic fertilizer and planted more. I'm not bothering with CO2 but those methods did reduce my problem. And I'm sure the otto helps too :)

Yes fast growing plants are great for keeping the algae away. That is why all my tanks but the goldfish tank have duck weed. And it is perfect for a GF snack. They love the stuff.

Hillstreams are not reallly algae eaters they eat same diet as your fish.

yeah the hillstream loaches will usually push around the progold pellets that sink to the bottom of the tank... i often times see them munching along the backs of my tanks too though... and i can see little squiggly marks where they have eaten some algae. :)

but you're right... for trying to eliminate algae in a tank... they're practically useless unless you have an army of them. :P

I have never gotten into CO2 either, I don't want the risks.

But a liquid source of carbon is actually a great alternative for those wishing to go a little further than they can without addind carbon/CO2. I just started using Flourish Excel and already see a huge difference. I think a plant bomb went off in the tank. I don't have the pics to prove it, but within the first 24 hours after adding some of the stalks of cabomba grew about 6". I walked in last night and couldn't believe it, I know there was not near as much in there the night before when I added it. So if you do want to advance a little more, give it a try and see how it works for you.

Yes, a well planted tank usually has minimal algae since the plants use up what the algae needs faster than the algae can.

well i decided to get a team of ottos. I picked up 2 of them and the tank is almost spotless after only a day and a half. as soon as i released them from the bag they stuck to the glass and started going. my amazon sword that was covered is not bright green. They still need to get to the back and the onion plant but they are working hard for their money. If i wasn't such a nice guy i would transfer them tank to tank each week and have them be my janitors but i guess i'll just supplement algae waffers until the brown stuff comes back. They seemed pretty weak yesterday but appear to be a lot heathier today. I heard they're tough to transition but we'll see.

My tanks are brightly lit and have the one i had the biggest problem with planted quite heavily no added CO2 though. I do fertilize. I'm thinking of getting a common plec for my 55. I can't find BN types here. I just don't want to add another fish considering i already have tinfoils and bala sharks and i DONT need something else that will get big... scrubbing by hand for now i guess.