New Plants

Bubbleboy

Hey, I just bought 2 new plants today from my petstore (Fiona's tank looks a little barren at the loss of her old amazon sword) so I decided to get her some other plants. I got water wisteria and something called pennywort. Are these ok plants to put in her tank? Will they hurt her if she eats them? They're in a bucket in my bathtub at the moment so I haven't put them in yet. Any suggestions to make sure they don't bring anything bad into the tank either? Thanks.

I believe those are both safe species but you need to make sure you disinfect and QT them before putting them in the tank. They can bring snails and nasty bacteria into Fiona's tank.

Well I heard salt in small doses can be ok for plants. And if it's not for too long, larger doses. So that's all I have. I don't know what PP is, and my mom says we're out of bleach. In the meantime I've got 2 plants sitting in a bucket in my bathtub....

PP is potassium permanganate. And typically when you disinfect plants its a good idea to dip them and put them in a QT tank for a couple of days and then dip them again before you place them in with your fish.

Ok so I just bought some bleach. Rode my bike down to safeway in the cold, rainy, Oregon weather at night lol.

I'm going to sterilize my plants by putting them in my water change bucket, and mixing together a solution of 1 part bleach, 20 parts water and dip for probably a minute. Then rinse the plants and bucket thoroughly with warm water 10 times or more. Then I'll probably let them sit in the bucket with room temp water for an hour, rinse again and add them to the tank. Hows that?

That's probably good .... depends on how thorough you want to be. The couple days of rest between dips is recommended because many times the parasites and bacteria that hitchhike on plants typically have an encysted form which can't be killed by chemicals, meds, or heat. Usually after killing the stuff with the first dip, these encysted thingies will hatch and can be killed with a second dip. This thread will tell you everything about it.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=35594

Ok, so I took the plants for a minute dip each in 1 part bleach 20 parts water bath. I then rinsed them thoroughly both with buckets and buckets of water and two trips under the bathtub faucet for around half a minute. Then I treated the plants with 2 seperate dips in ultra dechlorinated water courtesy of my tap water dechlorniator. Rinsed with water again and now they're in my tank. Do you think I rinsed them thorouthly enough?