Natural Food For Optnimum Growth

Bubbleboy

Hey, I've kept Fiona for a while, and I've noticed she's taken real leaps and bounds with her size. I bought her a year and a month (Roughly) ago and she's nearly doubled in size if not more. So I'm pretty sure she's not one of those poor stunted fish. However, I would like to kno wif there are any good foods out there for goldies known to help them "Bulk up". I'm perfectly fine with Fiona how she is now, but it's always nice to see your goldie growing = ). So any super nutritious foods you guys can think of?

At the moment I feed her a hardy diet of peas, brine shrimp, zuchinni, beef heart, and occasionally blood/tubifex worms (All frozen and thawed of course). But I don't really like tubifex all that much. They look like little heartworms :blink:

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Bubbleboy

i feed mine a variety of:

progold - goldfishconnection.com

hikari bloodworms, brine shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, krill, and mysis shrimp

san francisco bay - beefheart, glassworms

i've tried tubifex worms before and it was too messy and only one of my goldies actually ate it without spitting it out.

in addition to the frozen food and pellet food, every now and then i feed them:

broccoli

bok choi

chinese water spinich

lofa

chinese lettuce (?)

orange

pomello

and other fruits and veggies i figure i should give them a try.

my fish are nice and fat. :heart

This is a new gel food recipe I made recently that is intensely, totally natural. I'ts chunky, green and smells great! I haven't used it long enough to know how well it will encourage growth, but I can't help thinking that it's gotta be really good for them. Of course you still have to have a variety of foods, but I think this is an excellent cornerstone.

The acidophilus tablet encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria in them to fight disease as well as can stop bloating, floating and constipation, the garlic increases immunity and the vitamin builds the bones and muscle.

Makes about 2 cups of gel food.

Ingredients:

5 packs unflavored gelatine

2 cups bottled water or dechlorinated tap water

1 adult high potency multivitamin

1 acidophilus tablet

1/4 medium red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 cup fresh kale, firmly packed, chopped large

1/2 cup fresh parsley, firmly packed, chopped large

1/2 cup fresh collard greens, firmly packed, chopped large

1 clove garlic, minced

1 egg white, cooked

1/2 tsp paprika

1/4 cup fresh fish/shellfish, cubed

1/2 tsp flaxseed oil (for omega 3 fatty acids)

1/8 cup canned pumpkin with no sugar or salt added

Place the Acidophilus tab and the multivitamin in 1 T. water to soak.

Soft-blanch red bell pepper, kale, parsley, collard greens and garlic in 1 cup of water. Drain well, but reserve water for egg white.

Cook egg white in the veggies water. Remove cooked egg white and chop. Reserve water for dissolving the gel.

Add 1 cup water to blender. Add Acidophilus tab and the multivitamin and blend well. Add paprika, fish, flaxseed oil and blend well. Add blanched veggies mixture and cooked egg white and blend again.

Pour blended mixture into a bowl and stir in pumpkin.

Bring water used to blanch veggies to a boil and dissolve gelatine.

Add gelatine mixture to bowl and stir until well mixed.

Pour into flat shallow container(s) to make a depth of 1/4".

Tap container gently to remove any trapped air bubbles.

Refrigerate until cooled and set.

Cut into serving size cubes and lay out separately on cookie sheet.

Put cookie sheet in freezer.

Once cubes are frozen, put in bag or other container.

Freezing cubes will preserve them longer.

Yeah, cost..... well, it wasn't cheap. I could've bought a bottle of JumpStart and had it shipped to me for what it cost, but, one, I had fun making it and two, I just feel good about feeding such natural foods. It was about $30 for everything. Yeah, not cheap, but you just gotta look at it as it will last a long time and it's so very good for them. And, if you look at it this way, I probably get enough gel food out of one batch to last as long as a bottle of JumpStart, so, in essence, I have the equivalent of four bottles of JumpStart and when you look at it that way, the cost of the gel food decreases significantly to about half the cost of a bottle of JumpStart.

I could've cut corners a little bit cuz, for instance, I chose brown, free-range, no-pen eggs which cost almost $5 a dozen vs. the $2 for the regular abuse-ridden white eggs. Not too much else I could cut though, in thinking about it....

As far as what to do with it all.... Yeah, those big bunches of greens make a lot of salad! Now, I'm serious though! This stuff smelled so good that I'm seriously going to take the veggies part and make a pesto for me with it. It had a wonderful sweet, warm, nutty flavor! So, you could use up the veggies for something like that.

But, what I did with everything is chop it all up and measured out how many 1/2 cups I could get out of the greens. I got 4 heaping 1/2 cups of each green, and, conveniently, one quarter of the red pepper measured about 1/4 cup, so I just chopped up everything and portioned it out into four groups, put the veggie groups in bags and froze it. I also measured out four groups of all the other ingredients, blended each group, put them into separate refrigerator bowls and froze them too.

So, when I need more gel food, all I have to do is pull out one pre-portioned bag of veggies and one container of the blended ingredients, blanch the veggies, whirl them together with the blended ingredients, dissolve the gelatine and mix it all together.

You could also share the cost and the food if you know other goldy lovers who would like some.

Well I mainly want to feed Fiona frozen foods and boilied veggies. I've tried making her gel food before, but she seems to get a little bloaty with prepared foods (gel, flakes, pellets) so she's on a *french accent* "all natural" diet for the time being. (She's such a spoiled fish :) )

So any suggestions for her natural diet?

Well I mainly want to feed Fiona frozen foods and boilied veggies. I've tried making her gel food before, but she seems to get a little bloaty with prepared foods (gel, flakes, pellets) so she's on a *french accent* "all natural" diet for the time being. (She's such a spoiled fish :) )

So any suggestions for her natural diet?

But, that's is what I'm trying to explain about THIS gel food. It has lactoacidophilus bacillus in it, which promotes the growth of good bacteria and stops the growth of bad bacteria which is what causes gas in the stomach/intestines (depending on species), which translates to no bloating/floating/constipation. And it is ALL natural ingredients. Every single last ingredient is 100% natural. My ranchu would float after every time I fed her gel food. She doesn't float with this gel food. None. Not at all. Now, maybe your fish will still float, I don't know, I doubt it, but you won't know until you try it.

But, frozen foods and boiled veggies are about as basic as you can get. You're already feeding those natural ingredients, so I guess I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking which of these frozen foods and veggies are the most natural? I'm not understanding your question I guess.