Goldfish Tankmates

spyder

Honestly, only goldfish should be kept with goldfish. They have certain temperature, space, and feeding requirements that don't match the needs of other fish. Bottom line, it's not a good idea to keep goldfish with other fish speices.

Now let's help you with what kind of goldfish to get. Since orandas are very ornate, delicate fish, they have certain disabilities many other goldfish don't. For starters, if they aren't stunted, they'll quickly develop a "wen" or fleshy headgrowth that has been known to severely impair their eyesight and swimming. Thus, they won't be able to compete with other, faster, more alert goldfish (comets, fantails, shubunkins) for food. So the best tankmate for an oranda is another oranda. But, other goldfish such as telescope eyes, ranchus, lionheads and bubble eyes share disabilities as well and are at relatively the same level as orandas in terms of food competition and health requirements.

However, make sure the tank you have is large enough to hold the number of fish you wish to have. If you have anything smaller than a 20 gallon, 2 goldfish isn't a good idea. Good luck and welcome to Koko's.

In addition to your volume + filtration + waterchange concerns, I would also worry about feeding. Goldfish LOVE to gobble up all the goods. Do you have a method of feeding that will allow your loaches to have their fair share?

Edited by Nenn

Clown loaches can reach up to 18" in length, so require a very large tank in and of themselves. They also prefer a sandy bottom, more acidic water: 5.0-7.5, temperatures of 75?F to 86?F (24-30?C) and prefer to live in colonies. This is pretty much completely opposite of the requirements of goldfish.

It's just really best to keep only goldies with goldies. And even at that, there's even sub-requirements of which goldies should be kept with which goldies.

My plan is 65g with a fluval and aq110 w/c every week. I have kept other fish but fell in love with these guys when I went to an auction couldnt believe the prices are so cheap. Im going to stick with just goldfish. So now my question is if I have a 65g how many goldies can I stock in the tank. This tank will probably be their tank for life.

I have always kept white cloud mountain minnows with my goldfish. They are cheap, like room temp tanks and are quick enough not to get eaten by the goldfish. My tank is also heavily planted w/ a black moore and a calico fantail. I also have somebody elses goldfish while they are completing their move.

Well, if you want to plan for this tank to be their permanent home, as fancy goldies can reach sizes of 8", you need to plan on 20 gallons per fish. So, you could have three orandas or other fancies. If you wanted more than three goldies, you can have up to six goldies for the 65 gallon, but you would need to be prepared to upgrade the tank to twice the size once they reached about 5" or so.

I go by the guide of 20 for the first, plus 10 more gallons for each additional goldfish. This assumes a water change schedule that will keep the nitrate concentration uner 20ppm and adequate filtration. So 3-5 would be good. You may want to get 5-6 and as they grow decide which you like the most and want to keep, then find homes for the others.