New Tank.

stevey87

Since I got these goldfish, I've been wanting to get a tropical tank but I love my goldfish and I'm not gonna hope they die soon. So right now I have 29 gal tank and I'm thinking of getting 10 gal tank MAYBE. Do you think 10 gal tank is enough for 5 guppies, 8 neon tetras, 8 platies, 1 pleco, plants, and maybe betta (I heard even males can be good community fish IF they're introduced last and there aren't other fish that resembles male betta). What do you guys think?

I would focus on the goldfish for now. Until they are in a better home they need to be your top priority. They simply cannot stay in the tank they are in.

You do have a number of options though:

1-cheap used tank that is much larger. This could be something at a yard sale, off of craigslist, out of the newspaper, etc.

2-large stock tub, water trough, even rubbermaid storage containers. Any large waterproof container could add tons of room for these guys.

3-rehoming. This is probably the least desirable since you like your goldfish. But finding a good home may be their best option if you cannot do either of the other options. This can include putting ad5 on craigslist, in the newspaper, or finding someone on a forum close enough to meet up with.

I bought my 29 gal tank at pet cetera and I think i'm noticing the tank glass in front and back going concave out as time goes out. i could be wrong but I'm really scared the glasses might shatter while im at work, etc. Is it because I have water very high? Is this normal?

I agree with Fishguy, Stevey. You have a mess going on right now with your goldfish. You have to resolve this situation before you get yourself in deeper with more fish. Why are you willing to pour more money into other kinds of fish, but not your goldfish?

The setup you have for your goldfish at present is temporary at best. You've got to understand that. You cannot look on it as a permanent home for the amount of goldfish you have. You have two options with your goldfish. Get a 100 gallon tank, or two or three smaller tanks equalling 100 gallons or give most of them away. There are no other options. This is it. This is all there is. Larger tank or give them away. Larger tank or give them away.

You need to step back and take a breath. You need to do some more research on how to keep fish because even tropicals come with their own set of problems. You need to just slow down. You don't have enough knowledge yet to keep the amount of fish you're proposing to keep. And, unless you start listening to some of the things we're trying to explain to you, you're just going to lose all the fish you keep wanting to buy.

I'm sorry for getting short with you, but it's frustrating when you keep posting questions, but you don't seem to be listening to the answers.

But, to just quickly answer your question. Even though those are smaller tropical fish, you can still only put about 8 of them in a 10 gallon tank. Again, you are severely overstocking the tank. And, as plecos can grow to 2 feet long, you can't have a pleco in a 10 gallon tank. And bettas need to be by themselves. I think you need to do a lot, a lot of research and reading about fishkeeping.

Edited by Lynda Von G

I bought my 29 gal tank at pet cetera and I think i'm noticing the tank glass in front and back going concave out as time goes out. i could be wrong but I'm really scared the glasses might shatter while im at work, etc. Is it because I have water very high? Is this normal?

I had the exact same tank for a few years, my brother in law has it now. Unless for some reason yours is defective, it won't break. Pet Cetera tends to have some bad products, but I found their tanks to be reliable.

Since I got these goldfish, I've been wanting to get a tropical tank but I love my goldfish and I'm not gonna hope they die soon. So right now I have 29 gal tank and I'm thinking of getting 10 gal tank MAYBE. Do you think 10 gal tank is enough for 5 guppies, 8 neon tetras, 8 platies, 1 pleco, plants, and maybe betta (I heard even males can be good community fish IF they're introduced last and there aren't other fish that resembles male betta). What do you guys think?

I agree with the others that you really need to focus on your goldfish before you move on to trops. And as Lynda pointed out, these are too many fish for a 10 gallon anyway. Plecos get huge fast and yes, the betta will chew your guppies up, I had it happen before :(

I also agree with everyone else about taking responsibility for the fish you have before getting new ones.

Also, ten gallons is too small for a common pleco, and neon tetras. The neons are active schoolers that need 20-plus gallons to swim freely in.

Although I hear a lot about Bettas in community tanks, I disagree with it. In my experience, they either beat the other kids up, or get beaten up by the other kids. It's a no-win situation.