Dojo Loach

stevey87

Any of your goldfish people have dojo (weather) loach in your tank?

This kind of loach is from eastern Asia (China, Korea, Japan) and are cold water fish unlike most of other tropical loach. They are very peaceful and very efficient scavengers. They sound nice and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm from Korea so I know what these fish are and they can be food in east asia. Anyways they sound like a good addition to coldwater tank, that is if you want o make your goldfish tank more colorful. They are not small unlike minnows so everything seems perfectly good with goldfish. They're from river and ponds so I don't see any reason why it would be bad to keep them together. What do you guys think? They have reputation for jumping over water a lot tho and they're not particularly the best looking species out there.

I have a dojo in my 150. Sometimes loaches can get a little nippy and chase some fish, but I have not seen this with any dojos, but it is a possibility.

Their bioload is pretty small compared to a big goldfish. And there are not really any rules for stocking, just loose guides. It really has more to do with your water change schedule and your ability to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm, not just the volume of the tank or designating X gallons to this or that fish.

Do you mind telling me what are your personal pros and cons of having dojo loaches? Also when you put them into calculation, do you do inch per gallon unlike goldfish?

I'm very loose about my calculation with dojos. Right now my two they live in a 40-gallon aquarium with three fancy-type goldfish. This is with a 90% water change once a week + 700 GPH filtration.

Personally, I think if you're planning to keep them in a goldfish tank, don't keep dojos in anything smaller than a 10-gallon and give them at least 5-gallon personal volume. Plus, keep an eye on your goldfish to make sure they're not harassing the dojos. In my experience, my goldfish don't pay them any attention at all.

Dojo loaches actually grow quite big so need at least 10 gallons each just like fancy goldfish. I have a dedicated Dojo loach tank which is a 20 gallon which contains only 2 loaches. They grow in length quite a lot some can also get pretty big while others can be long and relatively skinny.

Dojos prefer to live in a group so its always best to have a minimum of 2.

Heres some info for you on these wonderful guys :)

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/loaches/DojoLoach.php

No, you CANNOT add another fish to your tank. None. You are severely overcrowded Stevey, you know that. Fish are fish and add to the bioload no matter where they swim or live in the tank.

People tend to discount bottom dwellers/feeders and think that, because they clean up some of the detritus on the substrate, they don't have to be counted into a bioload. Bottom dwellers poop just like any other fish. And bottom dwellers DO NOT eat poop, despite the myths to the contrary. They only add to the poop levels. That adds to the ammonia levels in the tank.

So, no Dojo Loaches, no bottom feeders, no more fish at all, no matter how tiny or what type of breed.

I would personally never keep them in anything smaller then a 29/30 gallon tank because theyr get long. Although I think I stunted my dojo somehow, it is around 6 inches head to end of tail. They do better in groups. I lost one of mine a while back and my dojo seems depressed at the moment and is not that active. I give each dojo 10 gallons just like goldfish because of their size. They come in a few different colors as well. I had a gold/brown dojo that died. Right now I have a silver one that is long and skinny. There are white dojos as well. So far none of them have jumped out of my tank in the 5 years I have had them. They are very hardy fish and I only lost one to an unknown illness.

From the souds of other's post, you need to get a handle on the amount of fish in your tank now before adding a dojo loach. ;)

Edited by goldfish7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are two pretty good sized open areas across the back of my tank.......so would Dojos escape? I'd love to add a couple but I wouldn't want them to be able to get out!

I would try and cover the holes in the back of your tank, I have used tin foil before as long as it isnt touching the water. I have also used cardboard cut to shape, and tissue paper!

They are great characters, mine bury themselves under my internal filter. Sometimes they get under the log I have, and move it!!

The only time I have had one escape is when it was sick and my mum opened the lid to feed and didnt notice him jump out, sadly it was too late when we found him.

• 1 month later...