Scientist Finds Fish Are As Clever As Mammals

koko

• Admin

Fish are just as intelligent as rats, a scientist has claimed following new research.

# Fish can count to four - but no higher

# The secret language of fish

# Japanese scientists teach whale to talk

While owls and foxes have earned a reputation for wisdom and cunning, the humble goldfish has become popularly known for its ignorance, swimming contentedly around its bowl as its memory was wiped every three seconds.

The stereotype of a goldfish with a three second memory appears to be a myth

The stereotype of a goldfish with a three second memory appears to be a myth

But that view has been challenged by a new study.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtm.../scifish129.xml

I think anyone with goldfish, most cichlids, and many others already knew this.

I don't know if I would put guppies and minnows up there with mice and rats, but fish definitely don't get the credit they deserve.

Even MythBusters showed the short memory for goldfish was a myth. If even the very basic and unscientific work of MythBusters can disprove it, it is far from true.

I love Mythbusters. Obviously I am a total moron when it comes to science because I always thought their science was very impressive....all...full of physics and...and other science.... :unsure:

But I agree with Fishguy, people seem to think that aquatic creatures are not "smart" or even sentient. My own personal theory is that because they don't make noise, and therefore do not "communicate" (even though all of us here know they do), most people see them as unintelligent. I don't know why but noise-making seems to be a big deciding factor with people - at least, through my own observations. It's strange.

I know Tuck remembers where the stuff is in his aquarium. And he knows which is soft and which is hard. It takes him about one day to adjust when I move things around on him or add something new and then he's good to go again. So anything I add is stuff that he can't get hurt on till he relearns where everything is.

Actually many fish do use sound to communicate. I know their swim bladder is involved but not much else about the details. I know some people have reported hearing certain noises from some tanks (and not just biting on a still hard algae wafer or things like that, vocalizations)

I did know that some fish do emit sounds - I'll never forget this one fish we had in stock at the shop, they said it was a "freshwater lionfish". It looked like a lump of mud sitting on the bottom. When it was disturbed with a net, it would make loud grunting sounds!

I think most people in general do not think fish make sounds, that's what I meant. And you have to admit, when you think "fish", you don't automatically think of a noisy creature.