La Quinta Pet Store Employees Arrested For Fish Deaths

koko

• Admin

KESQ.com News Services

Possibly angry over the firing of co-workers, two employees of a La Quinta pet store allegedly killed hundreds of fish at the business by pouring bleach into the water, authorities said Monday.

Sora Matsunaga, 18, and a 17-year-old suspect -- whose name was withheld due to age -- allegedly dumped bleach into the main water circulation system in

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=919...nav=menu191_2_4

Oh my god!

I....just....oh my GOD! I connot believe they are still employed after that...surely they will be fired soon. What the heck kind of "appropriate disciplinary action" can one apply to these kids other than firing them??

Totally speechless. Anger management classes will hopefully be in their near future... that's an inappropriate response to angry feelings if I ever saw one...

WE have some judges that are good to get on a case of animal cruelty, but there is one that we all LOVE to get. I wish she was available for this case. This particular judge not only throws the book at the abuser, but the gavel, bench and most of the building.

I hope they find a good, tough, hard - a$$ judge for this couple of creeps. They need to have their chains jerked HARD and LONG.

:glare:

I can't believe that anyone would be that heartless. What in the world would possess someone to say "Hey, I'm angry. How about I kill an animal"

Ugh!......I can't even think of a suitable way to describe what needs to be done to those kids!

I can't believe that anyone would be that heartless. What in the world would possess someone to say "Hey, I'm angry. How about I kill an animal"

Ugh!......I can't even think of a suitable way to describe what needs to be done to those kids!

:wa:pan:kickbutt:SmackBottom:

• 3 months later...

good grief this is just awful! I can't believe I didn't see this topic b4.

those poor animals!! :rip:

Koko, do you know what happened to the idiots who did this? I hope they were charged on every count!

---

jaws_flounder: This posts is very old. Please don't post in topics that are old. Thanks,

this is the second time I've seen you respond like this. could you please leave the moderating up to the Moderators?

personally I think it is fine for someone to post if they have something to contribute even if it's an "old" thread. we didn't all join at the same time so for topics that are "old" for existing members they are "new" to the new members, like yourself and jaws_flounder. and sometimes even those members who are around when topics are posted they may have missed them and once they find them have something they'd like to add. I can see where you wouldn't want people posting in the D&D 1, 2, or 3 years after the incident happened. anyway, my two cents. Koko's is a GREAT place & sometimes I too forget that I have to share it with other people. :P

That is just insane!!!!! I am so shocked that someone could do that.. It's disgusting. I can't believe there are people who are willing to hurt innocent animals. (well I can't believe there are people who hurt people either, but thats not the subject).. That's really really sad.. Poor babies..

Oh. I didn't even notice that the thread was old..!

personally I think it is fine for someone to post if they have something to contribute even if it's an "old" thread. we didn't all join at the same time so for topics that are "old" for existing members they are "new" to the new members, like yourself and jaws_flounder. and sometimes even those members who are around when topics are posted they may have missed them and once they find them have something they'd like to add. I can see where you wouldn't want people posting in the D&D 1, 2, or 3 years after the incident happened. anyway, my two cents. Koko's is a GREAT place & sometimes I too forget that I have to share it with other people. :P

I agree and well said.. (just my opinion.... lol)

• 2 weeks later...

wow not only should these yobs be fired, they should have never been hired in the first place! People who work at pet shops should be hired for knowing alot about animals and love them, which is something neither of these guiys had. I would like to pour bleach down their throats.

thats terrible! Poor innocent fish :( . Why did they drop charges??

Where is La Quinta? It sounds so familiar...ok its in california..i guess maybe I was thinking of the La Quinta Inn that we stayed in lol

• 3 months later...

I know this is a really old article by now but I still want to comment on it.

This is.... I can't even describe it. Those poor fish! They were innocent in all of this! I hate people like this! They are such pathetic little parasites of the human species. And the worse things is, this is happening everywhere to all kinds of animals. If you're angry, taking it out on a punching bag, not a helpless animal, you pansies.

jaws_flounder: This posts is very old. Please don't post in topics that are old. Thanks,

this is the second time I've seen you respond like this. could you please leave the moderating up to the Moderators?

I agree. If a person wants to share an opinion on an old topic that is still relevant, where's the harm? I missed this thread too in its original post, so this made it nice (or not nice) for me to see.

Although not often, I've shopped at this store. I know exactly where it is. It's one of the nice new big stores that has only been open about two years, so it had a huge fish department with a lot of nice fish. Certainly a lot more damage of a humane nature could've been done had they simply destroyed shelves and shelves of products. Would this not have satisfied their need for revenge without invoking murderous intent? Rhetorical question. Nevertheless, it's horrible.

No, I don't. My parents live out there; not La Quinta, Palm Desert, but they're small communities right next to each other, which is why I've shopped there.

I looked this up in the court system though and it appears, not unsurprisingly, that the case is still pending. Here's the link, for what it's worth, on that: Riverside County Courts - Defendant, Sora Matsunaga

But, seeing as they were arrested for felony vandalism, but only charged with two misdmeanors, vandalism and cruelty to animals, after this case takes about 2 years to go through the system, we'll be lucky if they get probation and 50 hours of community service. The pre-trial hearing for Matsunaga is scheduled for July 7, 2009. This page will be updated when sentencing is passed. And that's the "adult"....... the minor was probably remanded to his parents. End of story.

I did find his name on a Pet Abuse website "hitlist" however..............

Edited by Lynda Von G

Further perusing on the court website shows that defendant was arraigned on April 13, 2009. He pleaded not guilty. The first pre-trial hearing was set for May 4, 2009. Defendant's request for continuance was granted. The rescheduled pre-trial hearing was heard on June 10, 2009. Defendant's request for continuance at this hearing was granted. I'm sure at the rescheduled pre-trial hearing on July 7th, another request for continuance will be granted. Courts will grant about 4-5 of these before they start getting pissed and say no to the next one. But, that's okay because there are dozens of other ways the legal system has provided for people to drag legal proceedings on and on and on. This why it takes forever for things to get through the legal system and why it costs so much and why they don't bother trying to pursue a lot of cases.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is still following this case, the misdemeanor animal cruelty charge was dropped on October 12, as were both the felony and misdemeanor vandalism charges. In exchange, Matsunaga pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of disturbing the peace.

It's sick that he walked out of this. Animal cruelty is supposed to be a felony in California all on its own. What happened?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well thats not nice, to take the lives of those poor fish, due to a lay off. : ( poor fishy.

not to mention the business at what they are at loss as well.. and cleaning the water filtration system will also not be pleasant.