Cloudy Water

I am still learning about the water quality in my aquarium so please be gentle :D . I do water changes about every 4 days. The last two times I changed the water, I did a 50% water change and I previously did about 25% changes before. The tests for amonia, nitrite and nitrates are all normal. How can I get rid of the cloudiness? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks :)

I'm no exprt on cloudy water, but I know that my water got super cloudy when I accidentally destroyed my cycle by using tap water on the filter insert. Did you use any untreated tap water on anything in the tank? I'm not sure if just rinsing off an ornament or something would cause a cycle crash, but like I said, I'm no expert.

Can you give the specifics of your tank? Size, inhabitants, how long its been running, cleaning regime, ornaments...I bet someone here can help you figure it out! :)

My tank size is 55 gal. I usually vacuum the gravel and do a 25% water change every four or five days. The tank has been up and running for 9, almost 10 months. I have 6 goldfish in it. I have two Aquaclear filters, one is the Aquaclear 50 and the other is Aquaclear 30. I recently changed the rocks (gravel). I did this a little at a time but just recently finished changing all the rocks. Could this have caused the cloudy water?

Hmmm, maybe....how gradual was the switchover? I have read from the gurus here (I think Trinket is the one, but forgive me if I'm mistaken) that the substrate holds a lot of the beneficial bacteria, so if it is taken out, it may trigger a new cycle. If the switchover was slow enough to seed the new substrate from the old stuff, then it should be ok I would imagine...could it perhaps just be unsettled particles from the new substrate?

Would doing a water change help clear it up? I'm just putting ideas out there since I am not the authority round these parts :)

I can see one possibility....

An Aquaclear 50 runs 200gph - at ideal cleanliness. As soon as it collects mulm, it slows.

An Aquaclear 30 runs 150gph - at ideal cleanliness. As soon as it collects mulm, it slows.

You have 350gph on a 55 gallon tank. 55 gallon tanks are commonly rather long, narrow affairs - I am sure you have one filter at each end, but still you arenot getting the proper mechanical filtration for your water that you should be getting for 55.

I would suggest adding in at least one more Aquaclear 50 ... or something with more gph.

I have a 56 corner tank that was cloudy until I got two Emperor 280s and an Eheim that does 360gph......

You may have ideal biological filtration but the mechanical is not up to par. By adding in more gph, you can also add more platform for BB and you will increase the potential for your biological filtration at the same time as you increase the efficiancy of your mechanical filtration.

Thanks Daryl! What would be the best way to convert to a new Emperor 280 filter? Should I replace one filter at a time so I won't get rid of all my beneficial bacteria in my existing filters? What size Emperor would I need for my 55 gal.?

No not overkill. Filtration overkill is not usually possible. As Daryl says the filter is home to your protective bacteria so as much platform in the way of ceramic hoops, bioballs, sponge etc you can fit in there- the more robust your cycle will be. One other thing, did you rinse the new gravel before you put it in the tank? There's a white residue on gravel sold in stores that should be rinsed off well before adding.

The Aquaclear 50 (~200gph) and the Emperor 400 together would be about right for your tank (total of 600gph), though I would run all of them together (goldfish really can use the extra filters). You can transfer the filter media from the filter you're removing, so that you don't lose the BBs. Or, when adding a new filter, let it run alongside the old filters for a couple weeks so that it is colonized by the BB's, then you can remove one of the smaller filters if you want.

Definately - ADD another filter, do not remove those which you have. To seed the new filter fast, you can divide your media between the three.

This is not necessary for the BB will populate the new filter in a few weeks as A Penguin has stated - and you are not seeking extra biological filtration (it will come and it will be a good thing, though), but you are, instead, looking for added mechanical filtration. That occures as soon as you turn on the added new filter.

An Emperor 400 added to the two Aquaclear filters would be ideal. The Emperors are great for their ability to hold lots of platform for BB, too.