Blck Jack One Side Is Bigger Than The Other

alexiscool

Well i don't have test strips at the moment (my parents just bought me a 40 dollar heater) and i don't have any cash... :(

so i can answer these q's

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 gallon hex runing for 2 yrs.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 whispers 20-40 200gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every week 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 one-6in three- 2 in.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a daY

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? aquarium salt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

On black jack side looks more bloated that the other. and it is kinda pineconeing

he swims fine and acts normal.

pics will come

Thanks for any help

FC

edit: One of my new lionheads had a bit of ammonia burn he is healing now and that is why i increased the water changes and GPH

Edited by FishCrazy

Any idea what your ammonia is at? (Also, I'm assuming you're at 40 Nitrate and 0 Nitrite, right?) 40 is on the high-ish side, so you may want to do a large water change to get that down. Though I'm not sure that this can account for the bloating, etc.

Are you certain your fish is a male? (Females with eggs can have the uneven bloating, thought that's not the only explanation.)

I've never had a fish pinecone on me, so I'm not familiar with that... hang in there and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will drop by.

I agree with Leslie...A huge water change right away...the fact that one of lionheads has ammonia burn means maybe the ammonia levels are high too...do a 80% water change now and again another one in 12 hours...Is Black Jack pineconing???can we see some pics??...how do his eyes look???..dont feed too much now..skip a meal and meanwhile let us know on his condition..

Just for faster action once we have pics...keep Epsom salts on hand..might be needed...also keep aquarium salts handy...do you have Metromeds if we would need some??..Just keep all these handy...dont use any right now...and if possible get an ammonia drop test...will be very useful....Keep us posted on the big guy...

Yes. QT is a good idea with completely fresh water. Be careful though changing him that the water is the same temperature.

You can get a closer look in QT and monitor his behavior.

It could be egg bloat or something else. Any kind of bloat can push up scales. If its only on the bloat side it is far less serious than all over.

Does he have cloudy eyes? And do you have any epsom salt?

Yes. QT is a good idea with completely fresh water. Be careful though changing him that the water is the same temperature.

You can get a closer look in QT and monitor his behavior.

It could be egg bloat or something else. Any kind of bloat can push up scales. If its only on the bloat side it is far less serious than all over.

Does he have cloudy eyes? And do you have any epsom salt?

the bloating is only of one side.

no cloudy eye (he only has one)

yes i have epsom salt

i am transfering him now.

should i try a hand spawn?

Edited by FishCrazy

hand spawn....you have to be very careful..the insides are very very easy to damage while a hand spawn..if you notice or have read the goldies only kinda rub their heads against the tummies during a spawn...so wait up...and even if you handle him just be very gentle when rubbing your finger against Jack's tummy...I would say wait up and see how he reacts to new water and tank...could be stressful...so let him maybe adjust and then later decide on what to do...

Edited by SunshineGurl

Is the water warm? Same as the main tank?

You can stroke the bloated side a few times in the direction of the tail. Don't press.

Add the epsom.

I have both salts on hand

Macryn

and

Melafix

also i got a test kit ;)

i have a ammonia test strips somewhere

Edit:my lionheads chase each other all the time looks like breeding behavior

Edited by FishCrazy

But they are not chasing Black Jack right?

They would chase the female if she looks plump and is emitting pheromones.

Just add the epsom for now and see how he/she is tomorrow.

Check for ammonia in the QT and feed her/him a couple of soft de-shelled peas only.

But they are not chasing Black Jack right?

They would chase the female if she looks plump and is emitting pheromones.

Just add the epsom for now and see how he/she is tomorrow.

Check for ammonia in the QT and feed her/him a couple of soft de-shelled peas only.

i found a red sore on the bloated area..

i will have to get some peas

Then it may be an internal infection. How old is the Maracyn 2 you have there btw? (It is very dangerous to use after the expiry date.)

And can you get medicated food or not? I know its difficult asking for more things from your parents..

Then it may be an internal infection. How old is the Maracyn 2 you have there btw? (It is very dangerous to use after the expiry date.)

And can you get medicated food or not? I know its difficult asking for more things from your parents..

the Maracyn TC

exspires in 11/08

i don't know about the food...money is tight now

You know that medicine is really very dangerous after expiry. And it has been open for some time as I remember you used that before...I really think you shouldn't use that.

If money is a problem hun, then start by giving him daily water changes in the QT matching them for pH and temperature. You can also salt (regular not epsom since there is no pineconing). This will boost his immunity. Watch him close. If he starts to bottom sit post back immediately.

And maybe do some house chores or something so your Mom feels kind to you as you may need to ask her for some anti-bacterial food soon...

Edit: Switch to regular salt with a full water change when you can. Don't worry the epsom will not hurt..

You know that medicine is really very dangerous after expiry. And it has been open for some time as I remember you used that before...I really think you shouldn't use that.

If money is a problem hun, then start by giving him daily water changes in teh QT matching them for pH and temperature. You can also salt (regular not epsom since there is no pineconing). This will boost his immunity. Watch him close. If he starts to bottom sit post back immediately.

And maybe do some house chores or something so your Mom feels kind to you as you may need to ask her for some anti-bacterial food soon...

alright i will toss it out. i still have 18 packs of it..what a waste

i will keep up on wc and salt

how much salt

Thanks trinket for helping me out :D

I need to find a job so hard to get one...

Edited by FishCrazy

If money is a problem hun, then start by giving him daily water changes in the QT matching them for pH and temperature. You can also salt (regular not epsom since there is no pineconing). This will boost his immunity. Watch him close. If he starts to bottom sit post back immediately.

Edit: Switch to regular salt with a full water change when you can. Don't worry the epsom will not hurt..

saw ur Edit

will do

Goodness what a really kind offer Kathy!! I know its difficult for Alex to keep asking his Mom for fish stuff. I think MMs would be excellent here..

Trinket, which antibacterial food does she need? I have both the MediGold and MetroMeds here that are still good. If one of those I could send her some. Would take a few days to get there is all.
I guess i am a girl now :rolleyes:thanks i would like some :D
Goodness what a really kind offer Kathy!! I know its difficult for Alex to keep asking his Mom for fish stuff. I think MMs would be excellent here..
It is a pain but I am sure your son has no problems.. :P Edited by FishCrazy

I guess i am a girl now :rolleyes:thanks i would like some :D

Oh good grief, I'm sorry. :oops: Obviously that will teach me to post things while doing something else, lol.

If you PM me with your snail mail addy, I will get that in the mail to you tomorrow.