Cleaning And Changing Water

stevey87

Guest The Polak

Are you sure you unscrewed the aerator thingy on the tap? If you did and it still did not fit (with or without the rubber circle insert) you would have to buy a universal adapter from their website, pythonproducts.com

Edited by The Polak

Hmm, it looks to me like that is the aerator you need to unscrew so that you can screw in the Python attachment.

On my sink the aerator has a reverse thread -- so it's reverse of "Righty tighty. Lefty loosy." to remove. (So try "righty loosy").

I would try using a wrench. As long as you don't squeeze too tightly it shouldn't break. Go slowly and don't use too much force.

Yes, that little part that sticks out the bottom at the end is the aerator and should be just screwed on. A wrench (or even better one of the many different types of rubber grippy things available now) should be all that is needed to get it loose. If you have to use a wrench you may want to use something between it and the sink so you don't scratch it. I usually use those kitchen rubber pads for unscrewing pickle and jelly jars to unscrew sinks when they get stuck.

I would say it is definitely removeable. Try twisting it both ways, it may be a reserved thread like uberleslie suggested. I don't think toilet paper between the faucet and the wrench would do any good, it's too thin. Try something thicker (that won't tear) like a kitchen towel or a t-shirt. Even if there is plumbers tape in there it wouldn't effect it coming off. Plumber's tape is actually not sticky, it's just a film that fills the gaps between the threads and the grooves.

Edited by ryukin girl

Laundry room is right behind the washroom and I got the sink in there to work and I just changed water. I did 75% water change but it's a lil merky but not like yellow dirty merky but very small particles floating in water. It's not food left over nor waste product. Also I rearranged the ornaments and one ornament was slippery. What's wrong with my tank? Why don't I get algae?

I usually experience a bit of murky water -- at least some floating particles -- after changing water with a Python.

As far as the algae, where is your tank located? Does it get sunlight? This may play a role. You may have posted this elsewhere, but also, is your tank cycled?

Laundry room is right behind the washroom and I got the sink in there to work and I just changed water. I did 75% water change but it's a lil merky but not like yellow dirty merky but very small particles floating in water. It's not food left over nor waste product. Also I rearranged the ornaments and one ornament was slippery. What's wrong with my tank? Why don't I get algae?

Glad you got your python to work! And that's a nice, good water change amount! Great! I get murky water after every water change. It's natural. Don't worry. It should clear out in an hour or so. But, yes, it is food and waste. It's just very broken down. You'll never be able to remove all of that stuff, but it's okay.

Algae will take a while to grow, and you probably won't get it until after your tank is cycled, but trust me, when it does, it will grow like crazy! It may be brown, but brown is as good as green. My Toby LOVES the brown algae in my tank. When it does grow, don't clean everything squeaky clean. You need to leave at least one thing covered in the algae. Doing this will actually control the algae growth and it will, eventually, slow down and become manageable.

My tank is right below my window so no sunlight, just tank light. How do I know when my tank is cycled?????

With your tank still that close to a window, you may very well get green algae.

We've explained how you will know when your tank is cycled in your other post. It will be after maybe 4, but more like 6-12 weeks and when you get readings of ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0 and nitrates 20 or less, but I prefer 10 or less.

Yes, well, directly below a window still allows for the possibility of sunlight. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. When you clean your ornaments, you should hand rub them, with clean hands, in a bucket of the water that you removed from the tank. This will remove most of the buildup, but will leave a little, which is important as this is the formation of that wonderful bacteria which is part of what builds and maintains your cycle. You never want to scrub your filter, plastic plants or decorations squeaky clean.