Your Experiences With Goldfish With Other Fish?

Fishguy2727

I know some people have tried goldfish with certain things and it did not work out well. I think others may have tried unlikely or frowned upon combinations with success. I think we all know the real basics (plecos will damage goldfish), etc., but what has worked for you that maybe usually does not work with goldfish? What did not work that is usually safe?

I had a rubbernose in with a couple goldfish. One lost an eye and was really scraped up on both sides, so I moved it out. The next day the other had scrapes all over one side so it too was moved. I know on here rubbernose are considered safe, but when I tried it the combination was far from safe.

I have guppies in with mine now. Guppies can actually thrive in temps much lower than most people think, since they are usually lumped in with tropicals. Other livebearers which are also not truly tropical (platies, swordtails, and mollies) tend to be way too nippy with fancy goldfish. The faster long-bodied goldfish would probably be fine with them though.

I will have more as soon as the article I am writing now about goldfish and temperature is done, which is part of the reason for starting this thread. What combinations did not work and did temp seem to be an issue or just the fish?

I had a "common pleco" in with my goldfish and it never bothered them. I don't know if it was a common or not because it never got larger then 4 inches. I put two killifish with my goldfish temporarily because they kept bothering my tetras. They got along well and never bothered the goldfish, in fact, they were afraid of them.

Personally, I would only put a BN pleco and dojos with goldfish to decrease the risk of the goldies trying to eat other fish.

I know about that, I have seen the pages in that link before a few times. I am concerned about more than the basics as well as some of the exceptions. I have found that temp really is not the issue in almost all cases, goldfish can thrive in surprisingly high temps. The thread I started about the highest temps people have kept them in illustrates that very well. In almost all cases it is the behavior of the other species (being too agressive) that is the real limitation. In most other cases it is either water parameters (soft versus hard water) or the size of the other fish that limits compatibility.

Anyone else had any surprising combos (surprising because they should have worked but didn't or surprising because they are not usually considered a good tankmate for goldfish)?

I keep my goldfish tank at 68 in the winter so don't keep anything but fish that can live in that and not have thier lives cut short.

Long ago I tried to keep a goldfish in with some tropicals. Tetras and such (so long ago I dont remember what all they were.) I do know that the water was to warm for the goldfish and I was feeding them all tropical fish food and the goldfish only lived about 3 months.

How do you know the water was too warm? Do you remember the temp?

Was it just mystery deaths with no signs of anything? Or did something pop up before they died?

We all would really appreciate if you could use a better tone...and not ask for further proofs on experiences...Everyone here is trying to be nice and respectful of you...and we would expect the same... :)

:whatjust: I am so confused!

I have kept goldfish with a dwarf puffer (not salt water) and he ripped his fins apart! I didn't notice it at first because I think the puffer was semi-nocturnal. And I have also kept my goldfish with tetras and zebra danios. Both those fish had no problems with the "lower" temp. Admittedly it was a big higher than what is recommended for goldfish, I think it was about 80ish. At least, during the first part of the summer when my boyfriend didn't have his heat on (long story as to why they were at his house). Then it got down to about 75 when the air turned on.

But I swear those tetras/danios are the hardiest fish ever! They made it through two beginner cycles (that is, not daily water changes. I know, I know, I was young and so misguided!). In fact I think they are still alive.

Yep, Steve just confirmed it, they are alive and kicking...erm swimming

:whatjust: I am so confused!

:rofl

But I swear those tetras/danios are the hardiest fish ever! They made it through two beginner cycles (that is, not daily water changes. I know, I know, I was young and so misguided!). In fact I think they are still alive.

Yep, Steve just confirmed it, they are alive and kicking...erm swimming

Yeah, those have to be danios...very hardy guys...usually recommended for cycle to beginners...if not willing for a fishless cycle... :)

The only problem is now Steve has them in a tank that is over stocked but we can't do anything about it because we have no where else to put them! I had to seriously talk him out of putting them in his subdivision's retention pond! We are kinda hoping that his craigslist posting pans out before the puffer eats them........

I am not trying to be disrespectful at all. I am not questioning anyone's experience, just trying to understand it better. There were things I still wanted to know about that experience so I asked about them. Those were just simple questions, how could the tone be improved?

I have and have heard of many people keeping goldfish in very high temps, so when someone says the temp was an issue for them, I want to understand exactly what happened and how they knew it was the temp. I am not trying to imply it wasn't the temp or they are wrong or anything like that, it is not my experience. That is why I have to ask questions.

I have heard puffers can be really nasty, even to pretty active fish.

"You are the sweetest person I know and you have brought sunshine into my life."

I am not trying to be mean or turn the tables, but I think being sarcastic is one of the most disrespectful and rude things a person can do. If you don't want to discuss it just say so. I am not trying to be mean, disrespectful, or anything. Just trying to learn and understand. I am sorry if I came across in the wrong way. I am not trying to belittle you, disrespect you, question your experience or its validity, just trying to understand it so that I and others can get the most from it.

Fishguy's inquisitive tone may grate on some, but maybe he will discover something new about keeping goldfish from all of his questions and help further the hobby for all of us one day! You never know. New discoveries are made all the time... I think his desire to take personal experience in fishkeeping and apply scientific theory in an effort to pin down some firm answers is admirable. I'm not scientifically-minded myself so most of it goes way over my head, but kudos! Kudos to everybody! Life is good!!!!!

(just tryin' to help smooth ruffled feathers)

You're most welcome! :)

I kinda hijacked (or participated in the hijacking, lol) the thread, so I'll try to get back on track for ya...

In terms of keeping other fish with goldfish, it's pretty confusing for a novice like myself. Until I came here, I thought Plecos were like a wild-card fish: they go with aaaaaaanything!! I guess I bought that hook line and sinker because I didn't question it. I didn't give Plecos much thought at all, poor things (incidentally, did you know that there is a whole forum community devoted to plecos?! Way cool). When I learned that fancy goldfish could handle higher temps (and I was told by local fishkeepers in my area) and even required the warmer water, it was confuzzling to me why tropicals who needed similar temps could not go with them. MY only experience with keeping goldies and trops together quickly ended in a disaster that was unrelated to the mixing of species, so I can't say for sure if it would work. But in theory it looks like it should! But people say no no no. So I have no idea.

I think that maybe there are other influences at work besides cold hard science of temps and such when it comes to mixing. Goldfish have been kept only with their own kind for many hundreds of years. Maybe it's that historical pattern that has many convinced that this is the way it should stay? Interesting thought anyhow!

I have an Abei Puffer ..and I have him in my goldie tank...NOT!!!!!!!..Puffers are VERY aggresive.I am being hunted while I do wc in his tank ..(I use a wooden spoon to distract him) :lol1 and yes certain kinds are very active ..some lurk ..mine is an opportunist ..he will wait for the best time to strike and usually it is lethal (those smiley faces are an act :bingo: )..I don't even have him near my goldie tank ...I do not want him to even think they are on his menu!!!!

Do people have problems with fancy goldfish eating small fish? I guess mine are just too friendly or too lazy. Every once in a while I see them swim for a second after a small guppy, but small fish tend to be much faster than these bulky guys and I just can't imagine them being able to have much of an effect on small fish.

Do people have problems with fancy goldfish eating small fish? I guess mine are just too friendly or too lazy. Every once in a while I see them swim for a second after a small guppy, but small fish tend to be much faster than these bulky guys and I just can't imagine them being able to have much of an effect on small fish.

how long have you had them in there? the guppies?

we have members that had ther guppies eaten away by goldfish.

My mix ended in disaster because I was ignorant of proper fish care. This was pre-koko's.

I tried doing the routines they taught us at work and I killed my fish. I had a Black Moor and two fancy guppies in a ten gallon (oh my god I am so embarrassed to say that I thought this was an ok idea back then, I was so foolish). I also had my Angry Betta in there but he was freaked out by all the others so I pulled him out right fast. Things were actually pretty much ok for about a week, but like I said, I tried doing the things that we (used to) do at work on my tank...I rinsed the filter cartridge out with tap water. The next day my water was cloudy and all the fish were covered in a filmy substance. The moor's eyes were totally covered with the stuff. I asked about it on a local fish forum I had just joined, and they told me that I had destroyed my cycle by using the tap water on the filter. That's when I learned about cycling! Yep, not at the PET STORE where I work. I re-educated my co-workers and boss and now we clean the filters in a bucket of dechlorinated water. Takes the same amount of time and now the tanks looks a hundred times better. We had always been battling this "mysterious cloudiness" before..... :rolleyes:

So, the mixture of guppy and Moor had nothing to do with the disaster. They pretty much totally ignored one another. Moor would root around on the bottom, the guppies stayed on top. However if they had all lived, I'm pretty sure the guppies woulda become lunch once the Moor got a little bigger!

I have had guppies in with mine almost as long as I have had them. They are all either wild type (feeders) or short-finned, none of the long-finned varieties that are really slow. I just can't imagine most fancies being fast enough to catch guppies though.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread and wanted to respond since I kept gf (1"-4" long) and trops together for awhile. Not good with gf--various tetras, mollies, swordtails. Good--platies, cories, hatchetfish, guppies, a female betta. That said, I think it also depends on the personality of certain fish. For example my one girl betta who was with the gf is pretty accepting of everybody but my other female chased/attacked my platy and guppies (she was not with gf).

As for temps, most trops do fine in 72-75F and that is ok for goldies, too. And if you read the ingredients on gf flake food and trop flakes it's practically the same. In fact, I have a rainbow shark who prefers gf flakes over tropical and he is absolutely thriving on them--he's grown and looks fabulous!

I probably wouldn't keep them together again for long term mainly because the gf had a hard time getting enough food since the trops were faster. And one of the gf got septicemia from stress I think 'cause the mollies and swordtails chased him and the tetras nipped his fins. The gf, however, never bothered any of the trops.