Any Ideas On Where To Order A New Tank Stand

I have a 60 gallon tank with 30" length and 18" width measurements. I am having a heck of a time finding/researching where to find a new stand since the one i purchased with the tank is ruined do to overflow.

I live in AZ. I was just going to order one online but am having a hard time finding anything.

Nothing local it seems??? They can special order 2-3 weeks in town.

Thought I would give you all a try.

If you want to save a bit of cash you can have someone you know that's handy with tools (maybe you) make one. There are TONS of plans out there for wooden stands. It takes awhile but they look great and cost less than buying one. And with one you make you can put a piece of plexi glass as the top of it to keep it from getting ruined by overflow.

Thanks for the advice. I would make one myself, except we just got into our new place and have quite aquired everything i would need to build one.

I have called around town about special ordering....expensive!!!

Anymore ideas I am game!

Check on craigslist. I see people trying to sell stands all the time. Plus you can use anything as a stand....it doesn't have to be built specifically for aquariums. Check to see if you can find a nice looking sturdy cabinet or bookshelf type piece of furniture. Look at garage sales and flea markets too. You never know what you might find at a steal. ;)

Dang! I'm trying to get rid of my 60 gallon aquarium cabinet! I'd sell it to you for a good price but, you're 1,000 miles away!

Gunbunny is right. Any cabinet or bookshelf, etc, would work. And you don't need to get one that matches your measurements exactly. As long as it's bigger, not smaller, that is! Only 30" long? Are you sure you have a 60 gallon? Is it a tall or something?

Not really true. Many things that are not made for a tank do not have the proper support and well not last. Knew this lady that had her 60 gallon on a dresser worked for a couple years then one day while she was watching the TV one of the dresser broke and so did the tank and she lost almost all her fish.

So be sure to add supports to whatever you get and even then I would not risk it.

Not really true. Many things that are not made for a tank do not have the proper support and well not last. Knew this lady that had her 60 gallon on a dresser worked for a couple years then one day while she was watching the TV one of the dresser broke and so did the tank and she lost almost all her fish.

So be sure to add supports to whatever you get and even then I would not risk it.

You're absolutely right there! Point taken!

Yes it is a 60 and it is very tall! I have to stand on a step stool on the top run to reach my arm...all the way up to the armpit to barely touch the bottom of the tank! (you really don't want to know how I know that do you?)

I got a 55/75 gall tank stand and it was bowing in the middle with in an hour! So I had to dump the water (again) and put the old tank stand in its place. So calling around town (there are quite a few places in the Phoenix metro area).

If the BF bought a saw today I may print up some plans. I am so paranoid of the tank breaking and hurting my fishies as well as flooding my house again!

Yeah, I can see that. Well, because it's a tall, you're condensing the weight into a smaller space, so additional center support is going to be key, but I have faith you can build something, at least practical and functional, if not pretty! lol!

My BF just made me a stand. He took 2x4's and made a basic frame...like the 3D cube you draw when you're really bored....and then added cross beams from the top middle to the opposite side bottom middle. It gave it extra support in the middle. Then he just tacked a pine vaneer onto it and stained it. It cost him a total of like $50-$60 I think. He did buy a table saw too, but I am pretty sure that as long as you can cut the 2x4s level a regular saw will be fine. He's a carpenter though so everything has to be extremely complicated.

Are you kidding...men with tools...everything is complicated! But if I were going to do it I would want an electric saw myself...way too much work the other way! :thud this is what i would be doing about 5 minutes into the project!

I did find the ugly stand I already have. I guess I could go buy it and paint it. do ya think the bf would notice?

although making one would be ALOT cheaper!!!

Thx

For sure it would but you can (like mentioned) you could get a nice cabnet at a thrift shop or that sort of thing and add extra supports. Would not take as long as making one. Or you could try to add extra supports to the one that you said bowed.

I have mine on carpet floor and I think it's leveled and I asked about my tank being a lil concave out on both front and back and someone told me it's perfectly normal. And being concave out on both opposites means it's balanced equally back and front so it's not a balance problem for me I think. I'm thinking about getting a stand too but don't know where.

lol mine was on my floor for a few months, too! You can check the tank's balance by looking closely at the water level all around the tank. The bowing of the glass is normal, though most larger tanks have cross-supports on the frame and thick glass to help minimize the bowing.

So did you pull the plan off line or just measure the tank and go for it?

I just measured the tank and drew some plans based on the wood I wanted to use and how much work I wanted to do. I wanted the stand to be symmetrical and open, so I could use the tank as a room divider if I wanted, and have space on the bottom for a second tank or sump. Thus, it couldn't have any supports other than the four corner legs, so I made sure they could take forces from any direction. I certainly drew heavily on my Statics course.

Well..................ideally I would like it to NOT be on the floor. I live in AZ and with the strange creatures that reside here..I would rather take my chances on a faulty tank stand.

the bowing scares me!

I just had to submit a $5000 claim on tank overflow....i work in insurance not the greatest place to be right nw...any other place than dyi...blah they need a passord!