Balashark

Wondering if there is anything more I can for my Balashark he escaped the tank on saturday afternoon. It was only after I had finished sorting inside of tank that I realised he was missing.

I heard flapping so I knew he was nearby. When I found him he had stopped moving and had cat hair surrounding his face.I removed what I could from his face and then I got him back into tank the rest of the hairs floated off him and he started breathing again. However I noticed last night that he cant close his mouth properly and he is bottom sitting but is mobile.

I have looked in his mouth but cant see anything. I am wondering if his jaw is dislocated due to the fall as he will have bounced off a radiator to land were he did.

I have placed an airstone in next to him and have salted to 1% to ease any distress. Otherwise I have no idea what the little fellow has done. Unless he does have something in his mouth and I cant see it considering he has a small mouth compared with a goldfish.

Any ideas appreciated as am hoping the little guy gets better he has a long road ahead due to damage sustained to his slime coat and scales as result of the escape.

Edited by Blue

If you have any of that stuff that helps with Slime Coat - like Stress Coat is the first thing that came to my mind- then adding some to the tank couldn't hurt.

Also isolating him so any tankmates can't harrass him might be a good idea too. Maybe a mod or one of our fine sick-fishy experts will be able to help you a bit more :) All I can advise is to keep him in a nice clean environment free from pesky roommates so he can recover.

Oh! Maybe try reading Pixiefish's post about a fish her cat dragged home that she brought back to life!! http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...mp;#entry813655

Good luck to you :)

Thanks but Stress Coat + was first thing that went in tank when he was recovered :)

He is already isolated as he has a tank to himself. Its his jaw I am concerned about as on the whole hes intact.

Edited by Blue

I know that feeding isn't usually recommended after an injury, but maybe putting a teeny bit in there might at least help you to see if his jaw is working at all?

If his jaw is dislocated I'm not sure what could be done :( I suppose that once he gets his strength back after the fall, using the jaw to eat might help pop it back into place (ouch) or he will find a way to adapt using his now-deformed jaw... I guess the most important thing if he seems fine otherwise is if he can use his mouth to eat.

Update - His mouth is closing a bit better and he is a little more active . My guess is hes maybe bruised his jaw in the fall I will just wait and see what happens.

Chloe - He currently isnt being fed food as I have him on multivitamins when I risk food I am planning on giving him the hikari tropical micro pellets I feed my small tropicals with.

Last night he took a turn for the worse. Ive had to now treat him with an anti bacterial med as red patch had started to appear on his belly hes also now only swimming upside down. That is possibly his swimbladder as he has had trouble staying upright but cant be 100% sure.

Odds are looking against him surviving but I will continue to do my best as its all I can do.