White Patch On Dorsal Fin

spillie

I have been running a 30 gallon tank since July (so, about 4 months) with three small orandas (no new additions since then). I guess they are about a year old or less (body minus tail about 2" on the largest one). All have been happy and healthy. However, about two weeks ago, my orange oranda, Sparky, started to display a white rectangular line that has become a white rectangular even patch toward the top of his (or her) dorsal fin. It does not look fuzzy--hard to tell--but it is getting bigger. He seems perfectly fine and unbothered by this, eating well, etc., but I am wondering if he has some sort of infection or fungus (is fungus always fuzzy looking?)--or could it be simply that the color on his dorsal fin is changing? I have no idea. He does have both white and orange on his tail fin, though (until now) nowhere else.

What do you think this could be? It doesn't look like ich at all (neither round or grainlike), doesn't seem to be very 3-d (again, can't really tell), and the dorsal fin seems undamaged. No bloody streaks or anything like that. He lost one or two scales on his side awhile ago, but nothing looks amiss in those areas. Perhaps I should have waited for clearer symptoms, but I have him in a separate tank for the moment and have just dosed the water with Jungle Fungus Clear because the white patch is getting bigger.

If a fungus, how long should I leave Sparky in the Jungle Clear treated water? (Is this a mistake?) Should I feed antibacterial food meanwhile? Or put him back with the others and just add melafix?

The tank is running an Eheim 2217 filter. Using an API test kit, ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero, nitrates are 20 (my tap water is 10), PH is 7.4. I vacuum the bottom and change 10% of the water once a week. I treat the replacement water with amquel plus. I did have some salt and melafix in the water about a month ago, as one of the others had a nipped fin (now regrown). Other than that, no additives. I feed them Hikari Oranda Gold and periodic peas and small bits of peach when in season (they LOVE peaches).

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I really cannot tell what this is. (Maybe it IS just a fin color change, could it be?). Thanks!

Here's a picture of Sparky from about 5 days ago, but the white spot is a bit washed out by the flash. It is toward the top of the dorsal fin at the front. It is a bit bigger now and looks like a rectangular stripe. (The white in the tail fins, on the other hand, is Sparky's natural coloring.)

Also, forgot to mention that I did a 40% water change last week after I rinsed out the filter canister media (in tank water). This was, ahem, unplanned--the filter leaked when I put it back together. But the net result, from the fishes' point of view, was a bigger water change than usual.

(Sparky is a bully, but isn't she/he cute? I do love Sparky).

IMG_9208.jpg

lets see.....

((What is the tap pH?))

API brand drops

((Water temp?))

30 Gallon Tank running for about 4 months

Eheim 2217 filter

10% weekly water changes

3 fish all less than 2 in

AmQuel+

((How much do you feed?))

No new fish

Melafix and Salt in tank (at the moment?)

White patch on dorsal fin

No unusual behavior

Is this all right? (Sorry it's just much easier to see the answers to the box of questions in list form!)

I would suggest that you up your water changes to at least 50% weekly with a 100% water change monthly. (This is currently a debated topic. See http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73601

Also you are going to want to do a very large water change right now to rid the tank of all the melafix and the salt. You can also run carbon (but you may be already?) to take out all the melfix. Make sure your large water change is pH and temperature matched.

Larger water changes weekly will help to get your nitrAtes down below 20 which is the recommended amount.

O wait you said he is in a QT tank with Jungle Clear? I don't know much about this product. Make sure you complete the whole course of the med. I wouldn't feed him antibacterial food either because antibacterial food is meant for internal parasites, which, as far as I know, do not affect the fins. IF this is a parasite/disease you would need to do a water-bound med.

Im my opinion it looks like a color change. Was the now-white part black when you bought him? If so it is just the healing of Ammonia Burns.

If you can try to get more pictures of him from other angles (or at least look at him from other angles) to determine if the patch is sticking out from the fin.

Great advice from Sarah but I would also like to ask you if you have ever treated your fish in the 4 months for flukes? the very tips of Sparkys tail look the tiniest bit frayed, not to alarm you but a course of prazi if you have never done it at all will knock out any residing flukes that may have been in your tank from start.

10% weekly changes is really not enough. This has a build up effect over the months of allowing bacteria that live in all aquariums to thrive. Occasional much larger water changes are really essential for a healthy system. The last one you did sounds good and another the same would help.

Regarding antibacterial food. It is just that. It is for bacteria not parasites. It is not necessary here as your fish is behaving fine and really has a small surface issue only for the moment . Jungles fungus clear contains nitrafurazone, furazolidone and potassium dichromate- its a very strong treatment that is really not warranted here and could weaken your fish.

Is your pH stable? What is your kH/gH? Slight acidic burns can look very similar to this and can be caused by dropping pH. The missing scales would also fit with that. It could also be the result of cycling with fish in..not sure if you did that?

I would check your water params for one week twice daily to monitor exactly what is up and run a course of prazi if you have never done it. Unlike most meds praziquantel will not or should not affect your beneficial bacteria and hard earned cycle.

Thanks so much for your advice, Sarah and Trinket. My ph is/has been stable, but I do not know about Kh--I do not have a test for that in my kit. I'll see if I can order one from the US (I'm in Japan). What med contain prazi? I have a lilttle pharmacy here, but not sure if I have a med that contains it. I'll check after work tonight. I have Maracyn 2, coppersafe, and parastite clear (that probably has it). I have not used any of these, but keep them on hand as it is hard to find many of these sorts of things here (at least, for me). After work I will do a bigger water change and put Sparky back in the main tank/take him out of the fungus clear. My water temp is room temp, so about 68-70 degrees. I am feeding once a day, about 10 pieces of Hikari Oranda Gold--is that too much? Will report back!

Spillie- I'm in Japan too! You can get your kH and gH tested at a petstore. Take 2 vials of water and ask them to check for you writing down the numbers. Where I am (far north Japan) and in my town the water is very soft and the kH is low making pH unstable. You may have the same prob.

Parasite Clear has prazi in it and will work fine but I should wait and get more familiar with your water stats for just a few days.

Trinket, are you? Wow! That's neat. My guys are all Japanese, basic 600 yen orandas (explaining Sparky's rather stubby tail) in a ¥¥¥+ tank setup. So it goes. (Ah, Japan!) I was advised to get this particular eheim by one of the amano-esque stores at the beginning of this adventure, but I have to say, my tank is crystal clear, so it was good advice. Anyway, I just changed 40% water again, and Sparky is slowly reacclimating. I think my ph has been steady, as it has always been the same when I tested it (periodically, so cannot really say with certainty that it is steady), but will have to get the Kh checked and see what that shows. Other fish are all fine, no issues. I took another pic while Sparky is more or less immobilized in his plastic bag, and you can see the white spot more clearly on the dorsal fin. No idea what it is, but 24 hours in Fungus Clear made no difference. It does not appear to be 3D after all, now that I can see more clearly. Could it be just his color changing?

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/S...ie/IMG_9220.jpg

You know yes. I think it could be just color fade/change. I think he looks fine :)

Wow I am very impressed you can do yens. You must have a Japanese keyboard. (I can't $$$$$ :D )