Reccamended Heaters?

okay.

well, after the cleaning lady incident- i've moved all my tanks to the garage.

but, it's been consistantly getting colder.

and this morning the water temperature was just above 50 degrees!

the temperature's been gradually dropping so i'm not so worried about sudden temperature shock (should i be?)

but my fishkins have been moving rather sluggishly, so i'm concerned.

any suggestions for a good tank heater?

hmmn im not all that knowledgable with heaters, i have a havdor theo heater which is supposedly shatter proof (im not going to test that theory) but mine doesn't seem to be working right anymore...it still works just not like it should... but from what i heard thats pretty common with any type of heater

I have several heaters put out by tetra. Mostly cause they are cheeper and they seem to work just as well as the ones that are not cheep.

However I only keep mine on my GF fish tank at 68. They do better in cold water. In the summer sometimes they get to warm. I usally ad an air stone then to help keep the O2 higher in the tank.

My goldfish are much more active in the winter time when the tank is more to their liking. Someday I would like to have a chiller for them.

At that temperature, stop feeding the fish.

A good heater will keep the water temp within 3 degrees of set temp - so no shock. You should not raise the temp too fast - but mimicing the raise in temp that will occur when the sun hits a spring(or winter) chilled pond is ideal. I bring my winterized fish back to temp 3-5 degrees at a time over a few day period.

Be aware, if you have fed these fish well, then chilled them and rewarmed them, you are going to get breeding behavior!

I really like the Stealth heaters - they give me a constant temperature, don't stick out, and seem to be tough. I wish they had an LED light though... I like to see if the heater is clicking on or not, helps me adjust it.

I like Visitherm and Rena smart heater (ignore my recent post about the smart heater, that was me being stupid).

My guys live in a wooden shed and I spend a good part of my wages over the last year getting it winter ready. I've a room heater and really good insulation.

Hope your fish are snug for christmas.