Your Experiences With Lionhead Or Fantail Goldies :)

Guest Peach

Hiya, I was wondering for anyone who has had lionheads or fantails what was your experience with them? Like are they friendly/aggressive? Are they hardy or fragile? Require any special care? Do they SMELL??? (THAT IS AN IMPORTANT ONE FOR ME, BECAUSE IN THE PAST i KEPT 2 RANCHU'S IN A 21 GALLON AND WITHIN 24 HRS THE ENTIRE ROOM SMELLED BAD! I HAD TO RETURN THEM). So I would like to try a fantail and a lionhead in a 55 gal but would like to know some experiences with them, any comments are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

I agree, the fish didn't smell, it was something to do with your tank :P

I've found lionheads and ranchus to generally be quite peaceful. However, because of their body shape they can sometimes be more prone to swim bladder issues.

I, too, recommend that you do a bit of research before getting more fish. Fish waste can smell... just as your waste or your dog's waste can smell. But it does not have to, if kept properly. A cycled tank or a clean tank will not smell bad .... just "wet".

I hope to see you around. I think you will find that Lionheads, RAnchu and Fantails - as well as many other types and breeds of goldfish - can be wonderful and beautiful additions to your home.

:)

I have had a couple lionheads in the past and find them to be peaceful fish that get along with everyone. I haven't had a fantail because I have never seen one that I liked. Good luck!

Hi guys thanks for your replies! Ahh that's great to hear they're peaceful fish! I like the friendly ones, lol! Ohh ok perhaps my tank wasn't properly cycled from the start, hence the smell. I probably overfed them too, as well as the tank being to small for them! I'll set up the 55g and cycle it for a month, is that right? I'm excited! Thanks again for the comments, if anyone wants to add anything at anytime feel free to! Cheers :D

A cycle may take a month or it may take 2 months. It may even take only 2-3 weeks...... there are a lot of variables.

I suggest that you invest in a nice set of water tests and let them guide you when determining a bioloigical cycle - not a calandar. You may be pleasantly suprised.

Fantails can be wonderful fish - and can grow spectacularly large. There is something of great beauty in a classical body conformation of a Fantail (and a Common).

:)

I have a fantail they are my faverote goldfish. Only enough I only have one and two oranda's. lol Sunrise was 10 inches and still growing when I took him out to my friends pond. Can't really see him out there but he does seem to still be growing and he is three years old. But I can see him getting a 1 or longer someday.

I would love to have a fantail since I really like the sleek shape of their body coupled with a nice flowing tail. However, I am having a problem finding one around here. It seems everybody is into ryukins and not too many fantials are being stocked by the lfs.