Goldfish Faerie Whispering In My Ear!

Brams

Hey hey! So I returned from the midst of the beyondness not long ago with an update on my current goldfish situation. I have a 33 gal with with my fantail, oranda and ranchu living in it since March/April (doing well, bless... future upgrading scares me though lol) and I have have a 20 gal with a single ryukin living in it since last Tuesday. Now this empty 20 gal I had was meant to be the new home for a goldfish belonging to my friend, which I have been trying to 'liberate' for a long time. I don't know why it's such an effort, she hates that fish.

It's a very large red/black moor and she's keeping it in something that looks to be hardly 10 metric gallons. I was at her house not long ago for a fancy dress party and as I was getting changed in her room I went to investigate the tank. I noticed that the filter she had in there was off, so I thought 'oh well, she did just straighten her hair, maybe she forgot to plug the filter back in after she finished'. So I plugged it back in and it kinda went 'glug glururggrg shnskdjncsdds', didn't really do a lot - not that it matters, as there was no filter media in there!!! :thud

I doubt she's changed the water for months and months, I would even dare to say a year! She's had this fish for several years (about 5 or 6) and I know it was around for a fair while before it fell into her care.

Point is, will I be pushing it for space if I liberate the moor and put him into the 20 gal with my ryukin? He's very big! But it's got to be better than what he has to deal with at the moment :(

Edited by fire in the fishtank

umm....sure he would do better with you in a 20 gallon with the ryukin...but I am worried about the moor's health..and that spreading to your ryukin... :(

since the moor is big and has been in bad conditions..you also have to consider the fact that he may be suffering from some kind of illness...and keeping him alone and QTing him would be the best thing at the moment..the ryukin could really catch some diesease from him...so as far as I am concerned...here's what I would do...get the 10 gallon tank from your friend...clean it thoroughly..if possible PP it...set it up and transfer the ryukin in it....the moor goes in your 20 gallon...and everyone is happy..in future you can upgrade to a 55-60 and move the ryukin with the other 3 kids.. :)

Hey thanks, I have a 10gal QT tub that I used for my oranda and ranchu, who joined the fantail in the big tank sometime in April. I'm looking at that tub now actually and I'm beginning to think that the tank my friend has is... not 10 gallons lol, I have an empty 7 gal and it looks more that size actually!! That can't be right. My memory... hmm. I also don't have room in my house for three permanent tanks, the 10 gal would have to be a temp - a month QT, maybe an extra week on the end. After sufficient QT do you think I'd be able to put the moor into the 20 gal? I just can't afford to have three water points, not now anyway. If I get into University I'll have 3 years, of... more education - but in that time I'd hope to upgrade to a single tank that can house all four fish (or perhaps five, depending on this moor) Thing is, the University I want to go to is up the other end of the country! I should stick to two tanks, just for now lol!!

How about a rubbermaid for QT then move it in and start looking for a 55 to 75 gallon second hand tank. lol

Yeah, I have my 10 gal QT tub still. I cannot upgrade to a larger tank for another year or so, due to reasons explained above! It may be that I'll have to get rid of them all together, because I don't know if I'll be allowed to take the tanks with me to Uni (my Uni-attending sister assures me it will be okay though...)

Edited by fire in the fishtank

I certainly will lol, got a funny feeling I ought to wait until Christmas is over, I'm getting rid of a big useless piece of furniture in my room, so I couldd put the QT tub on the floorspace.

But for now I am searching eBay for some BIG future investments... mmmm eBay :bingo: