My Bio-wheel Filter Went Berserk >-<

Guest Chocolate Panda

Guest Chocolate Panda

Okay, I did a pretty big water change today on my 29 gallon. After about halfway empty, my biowheel starting making noise and it stopped spinning. That usually happens, so I just ignored it.

But then after I filled the tank almost completely, I noticed the wheels weren't spinning, unless I put water in the filter itself. It works for a minute or two then it just stops. I checked everything that might cause a clog or stop the flow, but it still won't work and the noise is still going. Help please? Water quality is getting dangerously cloudy.

Did you shut it off when you started to get the water out of the tank??..When changing the water you should unplug the filter..I am sorry but from ur explanation that it stopped when the water level was halfway...what I get is that you did a water change while the filter was still on..is that correct?

Guest Chocolate Panda

Yeah, I left the filter on while I did a water change, that is probably the biggest mistake I made. I've been trying to solve this for the past hour and a half. I'm getting kind of nervous so I'm sorry about my vague explanation.

Okay, after some examining, I've found out that my problem is that the intake tube isn't taking in any water. I've checked inside the tube, but I didn't see anything that might obstruct the water flow. The problem is probably inside the filter itself, but I'm not good at taking things apart. What do I do? >_<

Edited by Chocolate Panda

I am not familiar with the biowheel in particular, but my aquaclear filters (which are also hang-on filters) work with a propeller that is inside filter itself. That sometimes doesn't jump back into work when there is something clogging it up - fish waste, but the worst culprit is stuff like hair and such. Any chance you can take a look inside the filter and see if there is something clogging up the impeller?

First, never leave the filter on..now that you know..I must say more than anything else its dangerous for you...you might get an electric shock..and when the water levels go below a point the filter can even explode...Always UNPLUG the filter before water change....<br><br>Umm...am not sure...maybe since you left it on...with no water..maybe the filter is damaged now...umm try to look at the impeller...take it out and then put it back in...I think its a Marineland filter...put it back and this filter to the best of my knowledge always needs to be filled with water once you start it after a water change...Again...take out the impeller..place it back...put the filter together....plug it back and fill the filter with water again..see if it works...<br><br>I m sorry this has happened.. :( ..post back with the results..hopefully we ll try and figure it out...btw...do you smell something funny..like a burnt smell from the filter...maybe something is damaged..??..and be very careful while handling it...dont want you to get electrocuted..<br>

Guest Chocolate Panda
I am not familiar with the biowheel in particular, but my aquaclear filters (which are also hang-on filters) work with a propeller that is inside filter itself. That sometimes doesn't jump back into work when there is something clogging it up - fish waste, but the worst culprit is stuff like hair and such. Any chance you can take a look inside the filter and see if there is something clogging up the impeller?

I've checked the propeller to see that it is spinning. I can hear it too, but it's making more noise than usual. I'll try to clean it a bit more. Still not taking in any water.

@Sunshinegurl Nope, no burnt smell of any sort, thank goodness.

Edited by Chocolate Panda

so plug it in...and fill it with water...make sure the water levels in the tank are full too..I mean the water in the tank is back, full...and after switching on the filter...fill it with water from the tank...maybe use a clean pitcher or something...

Guest Chocolate Panda

Okay, I've made some progress. After taking out the propeller and tinkering with it, I accidentally discovered that it actually did have hair in it. After putting everything back in, the noise was reduced significantly.

But now when I try putting water into the filter, the wheel no longer spins. Aggh, more problems.

Guest Chocolate Panda

Sorry for double-post. I got it to work for now, just when I was ready to give up. Thanks for everyone's help :)

The solution was accidental but hey, I guess it works o_O

Great, that it is working again! :happydance My other solution would have been to rant and rave at it, like I do sometimes when my puter doesn't work accordingly. Doesn't get you anywhere, but it sure reliefs some stress. :D