A Big Thank You But Now Fungus?

Guest mariap

Hello!

I wanted to say thank you for all the help I have recieved. My common goldie was bloated and pinecone in appearance in August, no pop eye though, thank goodness, looks back to normal. I used macracyn 2 and medicated food and lots of water changes, and epsom salt.

I also got a bigger filter.

Now I seem to have a problem with white cloudy water and Squirt's tail is white on the edges and fraying. It also looks like on the edge of the opaqueness there are 4-6 very small spots of white. I have tried quick cure with no change. Melafix and pimafix seem to help until I stop using after a week.

I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 gold fish. I have had this tank for 4 years.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? <0.3

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?8

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? tetra drop test

[*]Water temperature? room temp (72- 74)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? since 2004, had squirt since 2002or 3

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? whisper 20 and my new one a tetra 45

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 20to 50% twice a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 about 6-7" and 4-5"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? peas romaine and sinking pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? see above

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? see above

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? remains active and eating

Thanks in advance.

Maria

I think, looking at your stats, that space is one of the issues which need looking at.

Your fish a quite large now to be living in the 20g - in fact 20g is the minimum we suggest for each common. The cloudy water in conjunction with a nitrite spike indicates that you are having a cycle bump - perhaps a result of running Quick Cure (contains Malachite Green and Formalin) which can kill BB's - also possibly a good indication that the fishes output is exceeding the filters capacity to process it.

I would seriously look at upgrading your tank size, but in the meanwhile try to increase your water changes. Opportunistic bacteria builds fast in an overburdened tank, so perhaps a very large change will help to clear rising numbers. I would stop using Melafix and Pimafix for now and try salt to 0.1%. This will help the fish with the nitrite spike and is also very good for healing fins and sanitizing the tank. Just watch your params very carefully whilst doing this as salt does affect the nitrobacters (nitrite eating bacs) which seem to be more sensitive than nitrosomonas. You may need to change more water whilst your BB colony adjusts.

The tattered fins could be a response to the unstable cycle but it could also indicate a parasite presence - that would also perhaps explain the earlier dropsy. Have you ever treated for flukes with Prazi? If not I would consider doing so as soon as you can; this will remove flukes from the list of possibilities to be considered.

Remember that any ammonia or nitrite will stress the fish and make them far more vulnerable to parasite and bacterial attack.

Update when you can and see how the fish do with a big w/c and salt.