Fancy Goldfish With Mollies?

Guest Peach

Hi there! I was wondering can I keep 2 fancy goldfish (lionhead and shubunkin) or just one fancy in a 55 gallon tank with 3 mollies??? Thanks for any info! Cheers :)

Goldfish cannot be housed with mollies...cos mollies are tropical fish and need warmer water than goldfish..essentially a molly setup will have a heater...and goldfish being coldwater fish cannot handle high temperatures...besides mollies are aggressive fish..hence can nip at the goldfish...not a good idea at all...you can keep only goldfish with goldfish..again shubunkins are fast single tailed fish and lionheads are fancy types...so both of them ideally should not be kept with each other either...cos the fancies tend to get stressed with the fast swimmers..however it cannot be too bad in a 55 gallon tank...and you should be ready to upgrade soon as shubis need bigger setups as they grow...and they grow bigger than the fancy types...I would suggest only 3-4 fancies in a 55 gallon tank..or 1 shubi in it so that they have ample of space to grow and stay healthy..long story short you should be ok with the goldies being together for the time being but definitely no mollies...

Edited by SunshineGurl

I had a gf with 2 mollies and other tropicals for awhile. One molly chased the gf all the time and I had to separate them. Later the gf came down with septicemia from a lowered immune system due to being stressed out by the tropicals. There was also a swordtail and some tetras that would chase and nip his tail but not as much as the molly.

Thanks for your replies! Oh I didn't know mollies were aggressive...would I be able to put a divider in the tank to help with that??? As for temperature can't the mollies and goldfish be at room temp. ? (b/c the mollies I have now are at room temp. I hope that's ok, they seem great/active) If the answer is no for those suggestions then are there any other smaller type fish I can put in with 1 or 2 goldfish?? Thanks!

Not many fish can go with goldfish. But if your tank is large enough you can get anouther goldfish. Also on Koko's website she has a place for fish that can be kept with goldfish go check that out.

Good Luck

Also, mollies are actually brackish water fish. So in the long run the divider won't help because your mollies will die from not having the correct water.

Although I do not think the temperature is an issue in this case, mollies are actually subtropical, other issues are. For one mollies are nippy and will nip at the slower round-bodied goldfish (like fantail, lionheads, and others). I do not think that tank is large enough for long-bodied goldfish like shubunkins, comets, sarassas, etc.

The other issue is that mollies are really brackish and can just tolerate freshwater. Many people do not know this so it is nice to see someone else who does. Although they can do pretty well in freshwater, they do tend to do much better with some marine salt (not just aquarium salt) and thriving should always be the goal, not just doing pretty well.

In my tanks, mollies would not last more than 10 seconds. The goldfish would EAT them. To a goldfish, anything that will fit in their mouths - and most things that they only THINK will fit in their mouths is classified as FOOD and gets eaten. A molly would be a nice snack.

Aaaugh, those pics of the mollies eating the goldfish! Unbearable! I like mollies myself too, especially the chubby balloon ones. It's a shame they can't be kept together, but if they would torment the goldfish like that, I would not risk it!

Plus, yes, Mollies are Brackish water. I've heard that with gradual acclimation they can even be phased over into full saltwater fish! Super neat!