Mouth Rot? Cloudy Eye? Please Help My Poor Comet

CometCrzy

If you are taking out the water I can't see how the amquel will hurt, plus it detoxifies the water! Good luck!

you can get the ph up with Baking soda, but you need to add it really slow and check parameters. Unless you have buff it up! That low ph would just hurt his mouth more.

Follow trinkets advice on the water changes and salt. Yes it is a pain in the B* but what can you do!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See low pH and ammonia are both acidic. This is like a burn for fish and poor Comets mouth has taken the brunt. This is not infectious really in that all the fish have been exposed already to the conditions that favor it and only Comet has succombed. Main issue is NO meds, get the pH stable/higher and get rid of any trace ammonia. Salt the tank. Sorry to sound like a broken record but you have my word, these actions sustained for one month will cure him. Looks a tough big dear!

:rofl

so I guess the saying goes the bigger they are, the harder to miss. I've been whining about Comet to everyone non stop but everyone thinks he's a tiny fry but those who've seen him knows you really can't miss looking over the fact that he's sick.

I did another 50% water change last night and had the ammonia at 0 then I retested it again this morn and its a light tinted green, I'm guessing 0.25-0.50 then? Is there a way keep it up at 0ppm for more then 8 hours? Also no change on Comet since the water change, he's still sitting on the bottom with his fins clamped. Didn't see dead skin on the mouth but area looks red (kind of like somebody bit off a chunk of his skin) He ate about 2 halves of peas but not his regular food.

the only way to get the ammonia out is to do very large water changes!

Sorry to say but there was a time when I was doing 75% water changes twice a day!

Ever seen that commercial "time to make the donuts!"? I would wake up at 4 am instead of 5 and do water change, go to work, come home do water change, wake up do water change....

Salt and water changes. :goodluck

No ammo chips or zeolite because you are salting!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Ok, just an update. Comet has gotten his appetite back these days and seem to be swimming around more, he even comes to the surface when we feed him (I had to soak his floating pellets for awhile since he won't eat them unless they were in front of his face). He bottom sits for a little bit then makes a circle and sit there again, perhaps he really doesn't have much space to swim in this 10 gal tank..

However his skin is STILL peeling, pinkish and now I see 2 red dots in the flesh area. Does this mean he's starting to heal or is this something bad? I'm still praying its not Flex, this poor fish has gone through a LOT to be better again. The water is extra clean these days thanks to my mom. She changes it TWICE a day 50% then 25%, very ammonia clean I can say.

How's things now? Are you still salting?

What is your pH?kH? Peeling skin and red spots can be caused from dropping or changing pH. It goes in at a good level pH and then over time drops down OR lots of water changes can sadly cause pH fluctuations if they are not pH matched...

How's things now? Are you still salting?

What is your pH?kH? Peeling skin and red spots can be caused from dropping or changing pH. It goes in at a good level pH and then over time drops down OR lots of water changes can sadly cause pH fluctuations if they are not pH matched...

Actually the pH has been changing very slightly but I figure it since its still in the good range it wouldnt matter much. I've gotten readings from 7.5 to 7.2. Hes been acting the same even with the spots (which seemed to have gone away now but he's still peeling) Any good advice on how to keep the pH up and stable??

Crushed coral will keep the ph stable. It takes a few days in the tank tostart working though.

Buff it Up from GFC or baking soda will work in a pinch. You just need to monitor it will drop test kit to make sure there isn't too big of swing either direction.

But as slight as that is it shouldn't make a difference. just watch it and get some crushed coral.

However any bigger swing than that in a short time period can cause serious damage to your fish.

Are you salting with aquarium salt?

Thanks Stephie, I was already using baking soda for the main tank but its very hard to monitor the pH fluxes. Anyway did a big water change after the filter got clogged overnight. The filter is really slimey for one fish (maybe he's still overcoating himself in slime) and managed to take an very "artsy" photo of him after the water change. This is his reflection from the corner of the tank. What do you guys think? Healing or Peeling??

comet.jpg

Looks to be healing up doesn't it? :D

Coral or sea shells can be added as decoration or into the filterbox if you have space. It does take a few days to kick in the stabilising effect but a fluctuating pH even slight over days will cause peel. Also if you are seeing 2 or 3 point fluctuations -there may be deeper dives you are missing- at night or something- heck we cant be checking every hour!! And any farther dips below 7.2 are acidic so it is something to get sorted long term.

I do think he looks on the mend. As well as the water being stable and good- good nutrition and vitamin C often takes care of things from this point.

I am totally with Trink----- white is healing! YAAY!

Crushed coral is pretty inexpenisve and easy to find...the boyfriend picked it up for me. Amazing!

Actually I just put it in a pre-made filter bag and dropped it to the bottom of the tank with a chip clip until I had a media spot for it. Worked just fine.

You are doing a good job! Keep monitoring the ph..twice a day should work, morning and evening. Once the coral is in the tank be CAREFUL. I got my ph way tooooooooo high. Starting freaking out, but the fish were perfectly fine, just the spazola mama fish!

Keep posting, Trinket is on the line! You are in great hands!

Yah i know i should go back and read..any salt? Salt made my rubber maid into a slime project!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Thanks for the assurance!

I always feel better after reading this forum :thumb:

@ Stephie- Tank is still salted at about 2% now?? (my mom's been doing the water changes and I tell her to put in 3 tablespoons everytime) and I don't blame you for not re-reading the thread, its gotten quite long there =P

@ Trinket- Will work on the crushed corals =) meanwhile is it safe to raise the temp on the hosp tank where Comet is? Its gotten really chilly in NY these last few days and we think he might feel better if his water isn't freezing cold (I mean like 60 F ish temps)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Happy New year Everyone!!! Hope everyone is doing well.

Updating on Comet here...he's still hanging in there. Poor little guy has been in the hospital tank for 2.5 months now. His mouth seems to heal and peel back and forth but I can honestly say he's in much better shape then he was 2 months ago. I'm waiting for the day it fully heals but until then the big guy is doing well, everytime he hears the shaking of the food can he swims up and eats, other times he hovers watching my family walk by.

The other tank is beginning to cycle I think. The crush coral has helped with the PH but my ammonia levels are still iffy, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Still no signs of nitrites in my tests for BOTH the tanks. Any cycling experts out there?

ok I've decided to post back on this thread instead since I have a history about my fish here. Due to an high ammonia 1.0 or 2ppm I can't tell :blink: I've decided to do a big water change in the Comet's tank. After the water change, Comet has just been bottom sitting, except for when I give him food. I've added some water from the main tank about 1 gallon during the change since I've read media and water from an established tank will help build up the cycle. The Main tank has cycled FINALLY! and its now holding a pH of 6.8-7.0 thanks to the crush coral, however Comet's tank has ammonia everyday and his mouth hasn't been getting better. Trinket, Stephy, anybody, please help?

P.S I've thought about transfering everyone to the big tank I brought but the other goldies seem to harass poor Comet when I last put him in there (they pick at his dead skin) and I think it might be easier to care for him in the QT, plus the salinity in the tanks are different.

Are you salting in the QT tank?

If no, I would think this sort of situation calls for some zeolite. It will absorb the ammonia that's in QT. I've never used it, but it seems like this would be the situation in which I'd do it. If you're salting though, zeolite is a no-no because salt causes it to release the ammonia (that's actually how you re-charge it).

Hang in there.

Are you feeding any med food?

So I was thinking about my above post from last night, and I'm wondering if the best thing isn't just to get the big fish out of the little tank. I'm thinking that's why you're having ammonia issues, and the tank isn't cycling, etc. I wonder if the bottom sitting and slow healing isn't just because he's stressed in such cramped quarters?

Just thoughts...

actually atlas he seem to be himself again, I don't want to jinx it so I'll just say he's his normal self. He was fine this morning before I left to work and I just did his 50% water change and now he's playing with the pebbles on the bottom of the tank.

I honestly would love to move him to something bigger but I live in a small apartment where the bathroom is a size of a closet and I've pretty much taken up the doorway with the two tanks. I would like to replace those two tanks with the big one thats been dusting in my kitchen but I'm just waiting for him to get better. These goldies of mine grew out of 4 tanks already and the 10 gal is the only one I've kept, everything else I either threw out or gave away.

And as to your suggestion on zeolite, I've read about that but I don't think I can try it while salting. I've been salting him at 2% the whole time just in case the bad germs or whatnot sticks on his mouth. I'm not sure how you tell its healing or not

I'm glad to hear that he's perked up. That new pic looks better from the previous one!

Definitely don't recommend zeolite and salt -- and salt is probably a good idea right now. How's the ammonia today?

I'd just try to get him in the bigger tank as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. That and time will help heal. (Maybe you could even put a tank divider in the big tank if the other start picking on him?)

I had a common battle columnaris in his mouth. It did take awhile to fully heal, and a year later his mouth is still a bit deformed. He went through this phase of ramming his head into the glass too -- like it was itchy. *sigh* Poor dude. I say this to just tell you I know how it feels...frustrating one day, hopeful the next.

Hope he keeps improving.

wow a whole year?? Its good to know your fish finally healed up :) that means you both used your best efforts. Im waiting for the day that happens with Comet. So did you wait till the fish fully heal up before you put him back with the others or did you put in a divider?

My ammonia is ok today, there's some but Im still trying to cycle the filter:

heres my reading just now

Ph. 7.4

Ammonia 0.25

NItrate: 5 ppm

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm ( I think its cause I pulled water from the main tank)

Main tank readings:

pH. 6.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 5.0

Nitrite 0.25