Help Please

maddy1997

...for real? All the replying we've done about this topic and you do not know why? And it's 10 gallons for fancies, 20 gallons for single-tails like comets, koi etc. 15 gallons per fish is not incorrect though, I'm sure they'd enjoy the extra space! :)

It's because goldfish are:

a) BIG fish. They are carp. They get big. Big fish need big places to live.

b) they need excellent filtration because they do not have stomachs to process their food, so they produce a lot of waste. A bigger tank size helps in diluting the waste properly so that the levels of ammonia etc in the water to not become toxic quickly.

I'm sure there are other reasons that others will be happy to point out to you but I'm suddenly very tired and I need to go to work.

Please spend a few days just reading over the site, you'll be amazed at how much you learn without asking a single thing. The search function is also your friend! :)

...for real? All the replying we've done about this topic and you do not know why? And it's 10 gallons for fancies, 20 gallons for single-tails like comets, koi etc. 15 gallons per fish is not incorrect though, I'm sure they'd enjoy the extra space! :)

It's because goldfish are:

a) BIG fish. They are carp. They get big. Big fish need big places to live.

b) they need excellent filtration because they do not have stomachs to process their food, so they produce a lot of waste. A bigger tank size helps in diluting the waste properly so that the levels of ammonia etc in the water to not become toxic quickly.

I'm sure there are other reasons that others will be happy to point out to you but I'm suddenly very tired and I need to go to work.

Please spend a few days just reading over the site, you'll be amazed at how much you learn without asking a single thing. The search function is also your friend! :)

Thanks so it is mainly that they are really messy fish. I have really good filteration and no ammonia, nitrite, 5 nitrate and 7.6 pH and if my fish grow I will get them a bigger tank

• Admin

Bingo....Goldfish are big from 5-14" depending on the type....They can live 5-10years some times longer...Alot of filtration is needed but the biggest thing is they need space...with out that they get sick, stunted and alot of other things.... :(

• Admin