whitner

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 10-15 ppm. not dark enough to be 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 73-75 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gal. Running for 7 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper internal 10- 30 gal.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? about 50% once weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? one, about 5 1/2 in. with tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe For Goldfish conditioner and API pH Up

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? ProGold 2-3 times daily (small meals), peas every 2 or 3 days

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just what looks like carp pox. Two tiny white nodules on both his pectoral fins. Completely symmetrical. Probably have always been there but since he's changing colors is more noticable.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Appetite is normal, but he'll sit underneath the filter when he get's tired of swimming.

I think I know the cause of Coco's distress, but I don't know how to fix it. For the past few water changes I've been removing some gravel each time since Coco got a rock stuck in his mouth. He was able to dislodge it on his own, thank goodness, but I realized that he was getting too big even for the medium gravel I had in there. It was the medium he got stuck in his throat! But 2 weeks ago when I took out more gravel, I think I took too much out. I haven't taken anymore out since he began to shows signs of stress. There's not much gravel left in there now. I bought river rocks to put in the tank, but since he's not doing well I didn't know if it was the right thing to do. He's still eats ravenously, and he'll swim most of the time, but he'll return to his place under the filter and sit there for minutes at a time. I haven't noticed any flashing. Sometimes he has to swim sideways to get under and out from under the filter, but I can't tell if it's flashing or if he's just too big. But just in case I did stir up any baddies, should I medicate with Prazi and/or salt?

I'm always careful, but this time I made a mistake and I want to fix it. I can't have him dying on me when I've worked so hard in the past to keep him alive and healthy. And he was for the longest time, but I had to meddle and screw things up. :cry1 I'm so disappointed and upset with myself.

Hi Whitney,

I am sorry no one has answered your question...Umm..its gr888 you have all the water parameters..any chance of pictures of the spots???..

One other thing I would like to add...10 gallon for one goldie is absolute minimum...which is good for a baby goldie..like 2-3 inches...as the fish grows it is always a good idea to upgrade...for a fish 5 inches and over I would really suggest Coco gets 15-20 gallons to himself...I would really really suggest you to upgrade to a 20...umm..maybe this has nothing to do with the spots...but it will definitely help in keeping water healthy for Coco...

Keep us posted...

Oh and I forgot...you might want to up your water changes from 50% once a week to at least 70% twice-thrice a week..this will help you keep the water parameters better...also have you ever done a 100% water change??..if not you might wanna do one...with temperature and pH matched water...a lot of times water quality when taken care of helps fish heal by themselves...maybe the spots disappear once you take better care of the water quality... :) ..keep us posted...

For some reason I thought I had replied. Hm...

I did a 100% water change. There's been no improvement. He's still bottomsitting occasionally. I put a new filter cartridge in, but it has carbon in it so I suppose I'll have to wait until it expires to put any medication in which takes, what, 2 weeks? Does carbon remove salt?

Hmm... When you say you put a new filter cartridge in, did you remove the old one? (This isn't recommended because you will wreck your cycle.)

Also, you can use carbon with salt, but need to remove carbon for many meds (not just wait until it "deactivates").

Hang in there...I'm sure you'll bring Coco around!

I just don't think you can be certain that the carbon has deactivated...maybe I'm mistaken on this.

Also, removing your old filter media will likely cause a bump in your cycle. That's where most of the beneficial bacteria live... Watch your water parameters closely.

Day one of the prazi treatment.

Coco's not bottom-sitting now. He's floating around the tank. Kinda like he's in a trance. My instincts are telling me this is not normal. I'm wondering if this is a side effect and it's not hurting him. Also, should I feel Medigold? Or wait until the second day of the treatment is over?

I'm still fairly new, but are you certain that your hands were very clean during the water change? I always worry a bit about some tiny bit of soap or something getting in the water in a smaller tank. The Prazi could induce twitching or more severe flashing, but it shouldn't cause the fish to go into a trance. That almost seems more like a poison or even just a really stressed out fish.

My hands were VERY clean. In fact I didn't even use soap. He's doesn't go into a trance-like state as much now. He swims around a bit more. No twitching or flashing, and no bottom-sitting. And when I move close to the tank, he gets excited whereas before he wouldn't. Actually, he's acting a lot like his old self. I think because he doesn't have that much room to move around he has no choice but to "float". But I'm getting that new tank, soon hopefully.

If he is poisoned, you don't think that it was the prazi, do you?