Sarassa

stevey87

I was at a pet store a few days ago and I saw a tank with bunch of comets and commons and sarassas. Sarassas had very long tail and stood out from the rest. So is Sarassa a type of comet that has long tail? Because the worker there pointed out which ones are sarassas and the ones she pointed out all had long tails.

Yeah I guess you could say that. As far as I know, Sarasas are pond fish, very similar to koi but without the barbels on their mouths. They get huge, over a foot long. Good pond fish! Fast swimmers. That's why they were in there with other single-tail fish like the comets and such.

I don't know too much about them though, I bet there's a sarasa expert somewhere around here :) Look in the pond section

• Admin

They are a comet fish but what makes them alittle different is there color...they only come in red/white color to them..long bodies and long fins..they are a pond fish and grow very big...I had a half breed years ago had to give him up cause he got to big and wouldnt stop chasing my Oranda girl around the tank... :(

Sarasa is a japanese term for any red & white metallic goldfish.

Also the kohaku (red & white) variety of koi used to be called sarasa before they changed it to kohaku.

So sarasa is the name of the colouration, not the name of the breed, nor species of fish.

Sarassa is generally just the name for any red and white (or sometimes orange and white) long-bodied goldfish. It is not necessarily a comet (which is a long-finned long-bodied goldfish). But I have not seen any definitions that would keep you from calling any round-bodied goldfish sarassas, I would have to look at a good soure that explained all the different colorations and their names.

• 1 month later...

Just tossing this out there but if you're thinking of a mixed pond then sarasas would go well with shubunkins too. Shubunkins come in lots of color variations. Reds,blues,black,white,gold. All mixed together. I love them. I had a sarasa at one point but he lost his red and became totally white which was still pretty but not as pretty with his red coloration. I think he lost his red because of stress due to being medicated for ich.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...