Happened Today...

My granddaughter Millie is here today, and this morning when we went down to feed the fish, I found one of my plecs stuck in an ornament, the bottom of the "No Fishing" sign. I have never seen anything like it... The whole head was inside...

I tried to pull him out but I just heard the sound of cracking fins... I panicked and called for hubby. He was outside so I had to get Millie dressed and take her out too.

Hubby pulled the plec out but he is wounded. He is in a salted bucket now. I hope he will heal...

:(

What concentration of salt do you have him in? Plecos don't have scales and are very sensitive to salt, salt shouldn't be used with them. It would be better to keep him seperated and in very clean water.

Edited by nichjake

Oh dear! I didn't know that!

I don't have a spare tank or a spare heater, it is used by the fry right now.

He is in a unheated bucket and needs to be put back in a tank...

I don't know which tank would be best, with the big fish, the medium fish or the fry.

OH dear. Next time break the ornament carefully so he wont get hurt.

My friend has 5 goldfish in a 55 gallon and one of them got stuck in an ornament and she broke it to get it off the fish. Still had some damage(from trying to get itself lose during the night) but less then had she tried to pull the goldfish out.

not the fry. :(

I have had those plecs with fry before, and it worked just fine. Now these fry are in a small tank, so maybe it isn't such a good idea.

OH dear. Next time break the ornament carefully so he wont get hurt.

My friend has 5 goldfish in a 55 gallon and one of them got stuck in an ornament and she broke it to get it off the fish. Still had some damage(from trying to get itself lose during the night) but less then had she tried to pull the goldfish out.

I didn't want to break the ornament either, I got it from a very dear friend... and I would have had to crush it completely to get the plec out, and maybe hurt him that way... I didn't know what to do... so horrible.

He is alive and moves, just like before.

I will try to seal the ornament.

Anette am so sorry to read this hope the big guy pulls through. pleased hes doing better with your care I am sure he will recover as best he can :hug

• 2 weeks later...

He has completely recovered! He wasn't as bad as I thought, I just panicked.

Now he comes forward to eat again, looks perfect!

Here's Uno! Can't see any broken fins or bristles.

Picture1497.jpg

Wow, I'm glad he recovered. Now we have to worry about plecos being as curious as goldies.... You did a great job.

I don't know about curious. I'll bet he smelled some algae in there that nobody else was eating, then found out the hard way why nobody was eating it. :unsure:

Glad he's unharmed. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...