Red Cherry Shrimp

d_golem

Lol I feel very weird posting here. Never ever touched this section before :rolleyes:

Reason is I've just set up a low-tech planted tank with WCMM & Red Cherry shrimps as the inhabitants, and here are some pics of the delightful little crustaceans:

shrimp1.jpg

shrimp3.jpg

shrimp4.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

minnow1.jpg

Minnow: "Are they ETs??"

shrimp--minnow1.jpg

Having fish in your tank means your population well not grow. RCS only live about a year so if you want to keep them you should remove the fish so the babies will live.

I love mine I have 20 with two snails in my 10 gallon tank. I have seen berries but none have made it yet. I suspect it well be spring before I have any hatch with success.

Your appear to have much better color them mine do or maybe you can just get better pictures them I can. lol

I have to use a magnifying glass to look at mine.

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Having fish in your tank means your population well not grow. RCS only live about a year so if you want to keep them you should remove the fish so the babies will live.

I love mine I have 20 with two snails in my 10 gallon tank. I have seen berries but none have made it yet. I suspect it well be spring before I have any hatch with success.

Your appear to have much better color them mine do or maybe you can just get better pictures them I can. lol

I have to use a magnifying glass to look at mine.

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Hoping that once the plants have grown, the baby shrimps might have a good chance to survive :)

Not really they are free floating when they are so tiny we can't see them and the fish well see that as food. But hey it might work but from all I have read it most likely wont.

You might even see them slowly disappear even when they are full size. (this happens mostly when they shed their shell) Or legs missing and such as they are picked at by the minnows. That is why I have no fish with mine.

Let me know how it goes.

There are a couple fish you can keep with them but minnows is not listed. Ill go find that and post a link for you.

Cool I had read that link a month ago when I got mine and have not read it since. lol So ya I'm rooting for you and if it works I have some green fire tetras I well move into mine. May do it anyways. lol

You know I was thinking of putting a few in my goldie tank. I have two ghost shrimp in there and so far the goldies have left them completely alone. Well, at first they tried to eat them, but they were just too fast, they gave up. However, I have only seen RCS in one LFS for like 3.99 each. That's kinda expensive so something that might end up in Dragons tummy!

If the temp is fine you could buy one or two and see how they do. Providing adequate shelters for things like shrimp always greatly increases their chances of survival. And actually that is not a bad price, around here I have seen them for $8.

Edited by Fishguy2727

I have always wanted a shrimp tank. I was supposed to get some, a guy at my LFS back home bred them and was supposed to let me know when he had babies, but he never called. Your shrimp look great! I bet they're neat to watch.

Those are really good pics. I love those crits and could spend hours watching them. Cant see them digesting their food like the ghosties but they're still cool.