How To Feed Guppy Fry

El Pez

I am going to be away for about 3-4 days and i have 11 guppy fry, 5 are about 4 days old and the others 1 week + all in a breeding box... obviously auto feeders are out of the question. I got some of those feeding blocks you put in the tank. I was thinking of breaking off a small chunk of that for them. I'm not sure if they'll even be able to eat that. It may also not be safe for them. that was more of a last resort/just incase it was an option thing. any ideas?

Vacation feeding them is a tough one. What type of vacation feeder are you using? The white ones aren't much more than plaster, not much use except feeding snails (they need the calcium). Tetra has the new gel based ones which are supposed to be pretty good. I would use those and break off a small piece for the babies. The best part is that it doesn't just dissolve, it will hold its shape and form except for what they pick off.

The last time I fed fry with a chunk like that I had fry deaths. I strongly recommend you do not use auto feeds that create immediate bacterial issues- a fry tank has to be more than pristene, fry this age have undeveloped immune response. Do you have any green algae growing at all? Fry this small can survive well on algae alone.

Why do you wish to know?

There is very little point in telling you since I am in Japan and the names will mean nothing to you. I have tried auto-feeders and I have fed weekend blocks both with the same effect. Disaster.

I recommended a specific brand of vacation feeder, you stated that when you used something like that it killed the fry. So I want to clarify if we are talking about the same thing. If you have not used this one or any like it then your experience with the one you used may not apply to this particular type.

The Tetra gel based ones can be broken and cut, only a small piece would be needed for the fry. And since they are water stable they will not pollute. They will remain in the block except for whatever the fish pick off of it and swallow.

Yeah, any plants or algae? Could you add a clump of plants to the breeder box for the vacation?

Edited by Fishguy2727

i could throw some java moss into it but i doubt they'll be able to eat it, maybe the bigger guys. I'm going to go to the lfs and see if they have something cool. otherwise... i dont know

so lfs was no help... they said i will just lose some but that's not an option for me. I will be gone friday late afternoon till sunday night. Do you suppose i can just cover the bottum of the breeder take with crushed flake food? I know its not healthy for them but they are in a breeding box within a 10 gal. There is circulation of water in and out of the box. What do you guys think?

Don't you have anyone at all that could come in and feed them for you?

Or do you have a small rock or ornament with green algae growing on it you can place in the breeder box? Plant?

I once left a spirulina tab on the bottom of a fry breeder box and came back after only 2 days- because the water is warmer esp- the whole thing had expanded into this gooey mouldy mass and the fry were spinning and sick :(

That's just what I'm saying if you leave any food it starts to rot so fast in warm water it fouls the water and grows mould which is then a health hazard if they eat it..

A plant or algae wont die or mould and rot if nibbled on :(