Bottom Drain Or No Bottom Drain On Your Pond?

buffdoll

I'm building a pond so I'm doing my reading up and asking questions. Well, I've read in quite a few places that having a bottom drain on your pond is a must or you'll be sorry down the road and wish you had added it. Also, I'm reading that having the bottom of the pond sloped/angled is very important for cleaning. When I went to my local pond store today the guy I spoke to told me NOT to add a bottom drain. He made it sound as if it opens you up to more problems than it's worth and pointed out that it could leak because it's cut into the liner, it could get stopped up, etc.. He said he NEVER installs them and doesn't recommend them what so ever. He said the only bottom drain he would recommend is one that is not built in.. the kind that sits on top of the liner. He totally agreed that the bottom should be pitched at an angle though.

Well, I did slope the bottom of my pond down to one corner, and it does help with cleaning. The trick is to keep the pump out of that corner, so it isn't sucking sediment. I didn't do a bottom drain, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to dig anymore to install a drain pipe for it.

I do feel like a bit of a fraud, because I have yet to put any fish in my pond. But I have raised loads of toad tadpoles, dragonfly larvae, and one stowaway minnow (who got washed away in Hurricane Ike) in my pond, all without trying. My husband keeps insisting that I can't put fish in until I finish laying the edging. I think it is supposed to encourage my to finish what I started. He knows me well.

That's interesting that your pond store guy didn't like bottom drains. I had read that they were a good idea for larger ponds. Hopefully someone with more pond experience will see this and comment.

Well, I did slope the bottom of my pond down to one corner, and it does help with cleaning. The trick is to keep the pump out of that corner, so it isn't sucking sediment. I didn't do a bottom drain, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to dig anymore to install a drain pipe for it.

I do feel like a bit of a fraud, because I have yet to put any fish in my pond. But I have raised loads of toad tadpoles, dragonfly larvae, and one stowaway minnow (who got washed away in Hurricane Ike) in my pond, all without trying. My husband keeps insisting that I can't put fish in until I finish laying the edging. I think it is supposed to encourage my to finish what I started. He knows me well.

That's interesting that your pond store guy didn't like bottom drains. I had read that they were a good idea for larger ponds. Hopefully someone with more pond experience will see this and comment.

I've been reading a good bit about bottom drains and everything I read says to put one and how important and helpful it is. Today I just saw something that said it's great for deep ponds. Maybe that's why I was told I should think about adding one.. I want my pond 3' deep. The sales person told me that most all the ponds they build are only 2' deep.