Patch's Eye Looks Wierd!

Jeana727

Goldies-5-009-1.jpg This is Patch. Named because he has always had one solid black eye. Just yesterday I noticed that it looked strange. The black seems to be fading & I can see the eye better AND (the thing that caught my attention) there is an almost "plastic-like" rim around both eyes. I have not seen this on him at all before! I watch my fish daily I KNOW I would have noticed this wierd thingee!!

I will post the parameters & stuff ASAP.....we have to go somewhere but I just wanted to throw this out so if anyone has any ideas!! I am perplexed!!

I think all fish have that plastic looking rim don't they? Like a glass lid on the eye? Or do you mean like a growth/bubble protruding?

Also the button eyes can fade and become more like regular eyes over time I think. I seem to remember some of my button eye calico fry suddenly looking less black eyed. Is the black eye starting to look like his other eye?

Oh you are probably right. It may be that the BLACK eye is changing to a regular colored eye & I am seeing parts of the golden color coming on the iris! It looks WEIRD!!

But the other thing is hard to describe (hopefully pics as soon as hubby gets finished working on my car, he always transfers my pics!) But if you cut a circle off of a plastic thingee off of a 6 pk of Cokes & encircled the eye with it! And I see what you mean, they do all have a "rim" that encircles the eye, but his is suddenly a ridge sticking out.

Well the only thing it could be that isn't normal is a sort of growth that can happen where a kind of bubble grows over the whole eye. That can start maybe as you describe if you saw it early. I had a fish with one- it was very strange looking, not pop-eye just this clear bubble that grew over like a film over the eye, making it look 3D!! It was when I had bad pH troubles and the fish was very stressed. I put that fish in my well established main tank and the thing was completely gone in a few days. A pic would be fantastic+ water params.