Unknown Disease

Guest Acer

I have 5 goldfish (4 black moors and 1 ranchu) in a 130g tank. The nitrate is typically 20-30ppm, with 0 ammonia and nitrite (drop test). I change the water once a week (~15%?), use prime, keep the water at ~76 degrees, and feed them Pro-Gold mostly.

Last week I woke up to find a nasty ulcer/wound on my black moor. It was about 1/4" in size, and was red with what looked almost like white stringy meat dangling from it. I was very busy and unable to QT, and as of now the sore has healed almost completely; appetite didn't change.

Now another black moor, who has looked rather swollen (not necessarily dropsy, but...) has a tiny red mark that is starting to heal over. She has seemed in poor shape lately, and is now keeping mostly to the bottom of the tank and not too active, except during feeding. I'm not sure if this is excessive slime coat, but sparse, white web-like strands are on her face and sides... definitely not fungal though, looks like slime.

I'm going to treat all my tanks with Praziquantel when it arrives, probably late next week. I'm also going to isolate the sick fish if I can find an extra heater. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know if the original case was a physical wound (no idea how it could happen in my tank - only driftwood and gravel), or if both cases are related.

Thanks!

do you have sharp objects in the tank, it is possible that the fish are injuring themselves during breeding. The ulcers sounds more like a viral disease then parasitic, therefore the prazi really will not help with that. Check their gills, they should be red (maroon) and smooth with no fraying. If you that the gills are fraying and discolored, this is an indication that you have some type of disease going on. Does your tank have gravel and do you vacumn the gravel. If not, a lot waste could be developing under the gravel causing this condition. I would do a 75% water change weekly, treat with rock salt about one table spoon per gallon. I would purchase metro meds from the goldfish connection, this is a medicated food that works very well with a variety of conditions. If possible isolate and quarantine the sick moors

Hmmm. I think the clue to your problem lies in the smallish w/changes you are running. Although your tank is very large and understocked, bacteria can climb very quickly when only 15% is removed weekly. Especially if you have gravel which is not very thoroughly vacuumed.

Ulcer-type wounds are generally bacterial in origin, and from what you've described, I'm guessing you may have columnaris. Can you post a well-focussed pic for us? That would really help.

Meanwhile try to do a very large water change (temp and PH matched) to reduce the bacterial count. Be sure to vacuum any gravel aggressively, as this is where bacteria breed very quickly.

Update us so that we can decide on an appropriate treatment for your fish..

Thank you very much for the replies!

I do vacuum the gravel, although I must admit I usually do one side of the tank and do the other side the next water change... I know this isn't a good move, just a habit I got into for convenience.

My camera isn't at home, but I'm not sure if a picture would help; right now there is only a white mark were the sore was. They heal relatively quickly, but after seeing them on 2 fish, I'm sure it isn't an isolate event.

I noticed one of my healthiest, largest black moors had a few scales loose (and eventually fell off) at the base of her tail. I don't see any breeding tubercules or signs of breeding, so I ruled out abuse caused by the males. The tank is basically 1-2" of gravel and 4 pieces of driftwood. One piece has a slate plate that weighs it down, which isn't completely covered by gravel. I may take this piece out, as it may have damaged them.

I'm going to dose all my tanks with Praziquantel as a prophylactic measure. I used to be very good with only putting certain siphons/nets into my goldfish tank, but I'm afraid I've been sharing them between my other tanks. I'm going to be more vigilant now!

I'm fond of all my goldfish, but I was really worried about an infectious disease hitting my $150 dollar goldfish that I got from Fish Sempai :o I'm going to do a large water change today and make sure I clean all the gravel - I think I may remove some, as it is a few inches deep near the back. I'll post if anything else happens, but for now I'm going to ensure water quality and see if it disappears!

By the way... I checked my pH for the first time in a while. It was 7.0, which I was surprised, because I have coral in 2 of my filters. Should I try to increase the pH?

Just a few thoughts.

It may be that your coral has become exhausted - this does happen after time. What is your normal tap PH? Many people here use Buff it Up as a very reliable buffer from the GFC.

Prazi treats for flukes and tapeworm so wont really be of direct help in the case of a bacterial infection. However, if you do have a fluke presence in the tank, it does open the fish up to bacterial attack so removing possibility of flukes is a good step. You are right to be careful of equipment sharing between tanks as this is the fastest way to cross contaminate your fish.

I am concerned that if the fish already have a bac infection it could become systemic quickly.

Watch your fish closely and post back with any worsening or new symptoms.

Well, the original black moor with the symptoms had completely healed, but there is now more stuff going on with him!

He has another red wound on his side - not as bad as the first one, but not good at all. He has a 'bulge' on the bottom side, near the pelvic fins. It looks a little distended, which I'm assuming is the beginning of an ulcer or potential parasites - no idea.

Still waiting on the prophylactic dose of praziquantel, but I'm worried. The other black moor definitely has dropsy, which I'm beginning to think has a lot to do with a genetic predisposition in fancy goldfish. She still has an appetite, but the black moor with the new wound wasn't interested in food.

He is about 5-6" long, not really much girth though. The only tanks I have for a QT are 10 gallons - do you think this would suffice for a temporary home? It is either that or he stays in the tank, and I don't want to dose that main tank with anything but praziquantel.

Thanks!