Everyone's Water Change Schedule?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is everyone's water change schedule?

How much?

How often?

Any infrequent larger or smaller water changes?

My 150 gets 75-80% every week.

72gal goldfish tank

frequency: once every week to week and a half

amount: 75-80%

* i might change it more often if i notice my goldfish have streaks in their fins or what not, but always about 75-80%

55gal goldfish tank

frequency: once every week to week and a half

amount: 70-75%

* i might change it more often if i notice my goldfish have streaks in their fins or what not, but always about 70-75%

55gal molly tank

frequency: once every week and a half to two weeks

amount: between 65-80%

* i change the water based on how much waste is at the bottom and how the tannins from the driftwood have changed the color of the water.

29gal tropical tank

frequency: once every two weeks

amount: between 50-65%

* i change the water in this tank less frequently because it's planted, has algae on walls, gravel, and decorations.

75 gallon goldfish tank

30% three weeks a month.

50 to 75 once a week every month.

55 planted angelfish tank.

the same

10 gallon shrimps tank once a week 20 percent but thinking I may need to bump that to 50. %.

6 gallon once a month or so 30%

1 gallon bowls once a week 100% (cant really cycle a tank that small.)

I do a weekly 50% WC on all my tanks. Sometimes on my goldfish tank I'll add an extra 20% WC. With each weekly WC I'll rinse out the filter pads. Once a month all the filters get a more thorough maintenance (cleaning out intake tube, impellers, etc) with media change as needed.

55 gallon: Once every 4 days - slightly overstocked - approx 50% each time and once a month or so 90~100%.

29 gallon tank of fry: 40% every 4 days and once a month 90%.

29 gallon tropical: once a week 80%.

Three weeks a month 50%

Once a month 100%

I do also small water changes if the boys poo a lot. I hate it when I can see it floating around in there. But that's only about 2 gallons worth.

I also top off, but that's not really a water change

Water changes... that's all I ever do!

Right now all my tanks are properly stocked. I have two goldies in a 29, 3 goldies in a 38-40, one goldie in a 10, one platy in a 5 gallon, two bettas in their own 2.5 gallons..

I have nitrates in my tap water though, so because of that I like to do larger water changes.. Every week I do a 80% change, basically bring it down to cover the fish, then once a month I do a 100% change.. Sometimes, if I pressed for time I've gone a bit longer on the platy, because it is soo understocked..On occasion I've waited a week and a half to two weeks on the trops tanks. I don't LIKE to do that, but life gets in the way. I never miss a change on my goldies though.. They're my babies : )

I have a 21g tank with 2 small goldies...I do a 60% water change every 2-3 days...and an 80-90% every weekend... :) ..and a 100% once every month or in 3 weeks..if I feel like.. :) ..

Never had a problem with the cycle...never due to water changes..knock on the wood.. :)

For all of you who have 100% as any part of you schedule, do you use water that is ready to go (such as in trash cans, stock tubs, or water holding tanks) so that you can ensure it matches the parameters of the tank? Or do you simply use the house's supply?

I use my house water, but I'll test it for pH and kH before I put it in. I use a kH buffer so I can bring both perams up if I need to. I try to match the temp too.

Should note here too that I don't have a python (as I've mentioned time and time again, haha) so my water is in buckets first where I can test and adjust. I don't know yet how I'll deal with large waterchanges using the python. I guess I'd have to test the tap water first and if adjustments were necessary do them after the water goes in the tank. Obvioulsy the fish won't be in there until I have it stable.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Has anyone ever had issues with large water changes, above 50%? Even just single incidents?

nope. the only incident i almost had a couple weeks back, was i almost started the water to return to my tank from my python without having added prime first! :o

luckily i caught myself before the water had started coming out of the python!!

So when you guys do these 100% water changes you stick the goldfish in buckets? A small tank? Do you provide aeration?

I can't imagine not using a Python.

Have you considered just a big water container near the tank that you could slowly fill and adjust before the water change begins? That way all the water is right there and ready to go.

So when you guys do these 100% water changes you stick the goldfish in buckets? A small tank? Do you provide aeration?

Have you considered just a big water container near the tank that you could slowly fill and adjust before the water change begins? That way all the water is right there and ready to go.

I use buckets if I need to take my fish out of the tank since I do not have an extra tank. I only use the python on my tropicals because my goldfish tank is too far from the sink. Also, I use buckets to fill the tanks because of temperature differences. After I take the water out of the tank I let the new water sit for a few minutes and adjust as needed.

I know, I need a phython :blink: (It's #1 on my Christmas list)

That is a good idea about the water container, space is tight where I am now but it's an option to think about.

I've only done one 100% waterchange since I set my 55 gallon up, but yes, I put the fish in a spare tank I have with a large airstone.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee